Author Topic: Finished bamboo  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Finished bamboo
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:14:15 pm »
The green fletched one with the broadhead has an insert for screw-in points that was put in with 5-minute epoxy. The rest have nail points.
I followed tenbrooks buildalong, and I used his red barred and plain cock feather pattern Along with his thread wrap pattern from his first ever set of bamboo arrows. I took the fletching pattern for the broadheaded arrow from Osage outlaws bamboo arrow post. Enough gab, here are the pics
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Finished bamboo
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:17:23 pm »
Those look really good. how do they shoot?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline DGF

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:42:40 pm »
Those turned out really nice. Good thinking on the broadhead.

When it came to making the nodes flush did you flatten them with heat and pressure or file/sand them down?

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »
They shoot well out of a 50# bow, they're too stiff for my new 45# bow. Which is fine because they're a gift for my uncle (who made my new bow)

I sand the whole shaft with 120 or 200 grit sandpaper and concentrate on the nodes more than the rest of the shaft until they are flush. I have tried flattening them but it ends with frustration. Filing them would probably weaken the nodes too much
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 07:07:39 pm »
Ps. The broadhead looks crooked because it was, I fixed that by drilling a new and straighter hole

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:05:14 pm »
Ps. The broadhead looks crooked because it was, I fixed that by drilling a new and straighter hole
Does it affect flight? On the slightly crooked english broadheads I made and shot it tended to make my arrow fly in a wierd spiral.
I think it has to be a BIG broadhead though...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:10:25 pm »
It shot dead on but it will affect penetration and the life of the broadhead, the insert was only an experiment but I think it is how I will set up all of my arrows in my next set.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 09:14:30 pm »
Sweet arrows

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 10:04:29 pm »
those look really nice.
me likey.
Kevin

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 08:39:12 am »
They fly true out of my 50# elm bow....and they're beautiful to boot.....now they need to get blooded.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 11:54:27 am »
Excellent, excellent job.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:23:17 pm »
They look great Billy.  How did you get the two tone wrappings?  Used two different colors string, or is one of those colors paint?

Russ

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 03:49:10 pm »
Thanks Russ, I used black thread and red thread, both cotton I also used food coloring and rubbing alchohol to dye those feathers green, the red ones are from 3RA and the regular ones are from my grandpas turkey

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 06:02:16 pm »
Thread wraps I can do while watching a movie, paint seems like it would take a whole other type of patience

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 06:19:53 pm »
I find paint easier, as when painting I don't need to use my third hand . . .