Author Topic: Congratulations to Gun Doc for winning May Self BOM!!!  (Read 10361 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to Gun Doc for winning May Self BOM!!!
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:24 am »
Congratulations to Josh (Gun Doc) for winning May BOM Self bow with his unbacked erc character bow!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39045.0.html
Here is what Josh had to say about his build:  For some reason or another, I seem to struggle with character staves a lot more than I used to. This one is 69" ntn drawing 45#@28" I'm hoping its fairly close so I don't have to lose any more draw weight.  I'm working on some horn nocks for this bow that are whitetail brow tines. I haven't done this much and my first efforts were pretty sorry to say the least. I used Del's how to and it helped a lot. Thanks Del! If any of you elb masters have any suggestions on how to make these better it would be greatly appreciated. As you can see, I haven't filed in the string grooves yet so I can better make adjustments if need be.  This one had me a bit nervous. I don't think there's much room for error with this stave so I was definitely needing some other tiller eyes to help me along. I appreciate it. I guess the horn nocks are somewhat acceptable since nobody said hey dummy you screwed them up? If no one pipes up by tomorrow night, I guess I will go ahead and finish em out like I know what I'm doing.  Good eye Clint! I almost ran her dry before I noticed the fuel gauge was bottomed out!   it wouldn't be the first time I did it either.  I gained on it some this weekend while sitting at Memphis. I had to really restrain myself from renting a car and heading to twinoaks for the weekend. Anyway, its not done yet but it's as good as it'll get until I can get home and finish it properly. 69" ntn. 43#@28". Like I said, its not finished, but it is shootable.

Comments from forum members:
Congrats Josh,awesome bow for sure. Very challenging piece of wood and pulled of nicely .      Pappy
Thats a great bow for sure, got unique character with a real smooth bend. Well deserved bud. Badly Bent
there is no way thats real?! some kind of photoshop trick!  very nice bow bud! must have been a nerve wracking tillering process..  Bryce (Pinecone)

That is truly amazing! The talent on this site..... I would have never seen a bow in that crazy piece of wood, let alone been able to tiller one out of it. Great work. Always enjoy seeing your bows.  hrhodes

wow what a good piece of work that is. just beautifull.  Ohma2

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:19:55 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Congratulations to Gun Doc for winning May Self BOM!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:06:59 am »
Congrats Josh.  That one was definitely "out of the box".  Nice work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:45:05 am »
Congrats!
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:49:02 pm »
That bow is a testament to patients.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:09:39 am »
Congrats Josh.Well deserved win.Outstanding example of what's possible with unbacked characterd red cedar.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:29:35 am »
Congrats Josh!
The bow looks beautiful!!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:08:24 am »
Thank you very much!  I really appreciate it. Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 12:20:45 am »
Congratulations Josh.  That bow should have never survived and yet somehow you pulled it off.  It speaks volumes of your skills as a bowyer.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 12:02:04 pm »
Thanks Clint!  I appreciate it!  Josh

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 11:31:53 pm »
Finally got the collages done (see first post).  Sorry for the delay, was away on vacation for a while.  Congrats Josh!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 01:52:01 am »
Excellent work as always Cam!!pics looks amazing!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 12:24:37 pm »
I agree Cipriano!  I sure didn't give Cam much to work with, but he done a good job anyway!  Thanks Cam!  Josh

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 11:24:52 pm »
Congrats Josh, I now see what you were talking about.  Great job!  Next up, yew?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:46 am »
Thanks Dan!  It'll be a while before that yew comes into play. ;)  I have to admit, I'm having a hard time leaving it alone until its cured.  Lol!  Many thanks for not only getting me on to some real yew, but a highly enjoyed day in the mountains.  Josh