Author Topic: Naked and Afraid Series (Official Thread)  (Read 37816 times)

Offline jimmy

Re: Naked and Afraid Series (Official Thread)
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2013, 12:35:38 pm »
Quality programming?  Sorry Billy, chalk it up to another show fitting for the "rot box".  Some are satisfied with the simple life of hunting and shooting handmade bows and arrows.  Others do just about anything to get their name out there and their face on the "rot box".  Me, I'll be down by the river or out in the woods living, not watching some naked guy on the "rot box" make a fool of himself.  Everyone has an opinion, this is just mine, sorry Billy boy.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »
I suspect the  cooking pot was a plant, why would a usable pot be found alone in the middle of a vast swamp. Without it there would have been no way the couple could have had drinkable water. Yep, a little help from the producers.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2013, 07:29:38 pm »
I suspect the  cooking pot was a plant, why would a usable pot be found alone in the middle of a vast swamp. Without it there would have been no way the couple could have had drinkable water. Yep, a little help from the producers.

definitely planted there. they got the worse location by far.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2013, 08:14:31 pm »

After Katrina blew through Louisiana, I wouldn't have been surprised to find a Cadillac El Dorado, an electric range, and a radial arm saw 10 miles out in the middle of the swamp, much less an aluminum pot.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2013, 09:40:28 pm »
From my experience duck hunting down there, lots of stuff scattered about by hurricanes and flooding. Just like all the stuff others found washed up on the beaches.
If it wasn't for this episode, I would have changed the channel after the first one. Hopefully they don't continue it next season.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2013, 10:14:23 pm »
Everytime I fish the river in the swamp down here I load up on fishing bobbers and white plastic chairs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:11 pm »
I was right proud of Billy.  He was far and away the best of the guys in this series.  The gals were awesome.  I bet he wished that he would have waded upstream and found that hogback of dry land a lot earlier!   The land I hunt has swamps that flood a few times a year when the Tombigbee River rises after the rains.  You can find anything laying around after a flood.  The pot didn't seem too out of the ordinary.  We found a TELEVISION  that showed up in one of our sloughs, aluminum boats, bottles, cans....  People are messy animals.   Mostly this series looked like an excercise in suffering.  Neighbors young one asked me "why are they afraid"?  Mom answered because they are naked and might get a sticker in their  bottom.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:20:08 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JEB

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »
I thought at the beginning of the show they were allowed two items.  if I remember Billy took a knife and Ky took a fire starter.  I noticed Billy hafting what looked to be a glass arrowhead on a stick. Where did that come from?  It was all water and very little land to find a piece of glass and a rock to knap a point.

Wife and I thought it was a little out there.  There was another Naked and Afraid show on after Billy's.  We got thru 10 minutes and flipped the channel.  Think it's another reality show that is going to bite the dust.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2013, 10:41:02 pm »
It may be interesting to hear what ideas folks have on "what they would have done in that situation". Without a found pot for boiling, could a pot be made from mud and fire dried to boil water in. Could shoes be made from local vegetation. I saw a show once that  the bedding was made above ground by lashing poles to two trees, rather than on snake level. I also liked the second half shelter much better than the first "A" frame shelter they made. What weapons or hunting tools could have been made. I supect that the clear glass point came from the camera lens that Billy and Ky were given to video with. I think Billy sacrificed his camera lens (good job).

The crawfish rake mentioned earlier sounds interesting. How are those made in that situation.

We can and should learn from what we saw or we can all whine about poor television...:-)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

mikekeswick

« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2013, 03:14:39 am »
I just can't imagine them wondering around the plains of Africa at night and still being around to see sunrise.
I know people from Africa - if you walk about by yourself outside of camp at night you are basically commiting suicide - fact.

The long and short of it is - don't believe anything editted. Don't believe anything on telly and don't believe anything in the media. Believe what you see with your own eyes.

These sorts of programmes don't just 'turn out' terribly they are made that way on purpose. Nothing happens by chance when it will be on TV. Think about it.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2013, 09:25:26 am »
I admit, the reason I started watching it was when I found out Billy was going to be on it and I was curious. The reason I have have continued to watch, though it is not the best tv, is it does make me think and motivates me to educate myself on "need to know" stuff in case I am ever in a similar situation.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Marks

« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2013, 11:06:27 am »
It may be fake as they come but it is still better than Keeping up with the Kardashians. A lot of yall are real critical but you've got to look at it for what it is....a TV show. Ask Billy, he might tell you how real it is. He might not can though. He lost 42lbs in 21 days. Sounds pretty real to me.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2013, 02:54:19 pm »
It may be fake as they come but it is still better than Keeping up with the Kardashians. A lot of yall are real critical but you've got to look at it for what it is....a TV show. Ask Billy, he might tell you how real it is. He might not can though. He lost 42lbs in 21 days. Sounds pretty real to me.

Plus ONE!  I agree completely.  I wouldn't want to try a crash diet like that!!  I could have been stuck watching real housewives from somewhere or one of my wife's interior decorating shows.....  It was a damn site better than that.  It is rare that I find anything on any one of our 700 channels that appeals to me in the least.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2013, 03:28:51 pm »
Quality programming?  Sorry Billy, chalk it up to another show fitting for the "rot box".  Some are satisfied with the simple life of hunting and shooting handmade bows and arrows.  Others do just about anything to get their name out there and their face on the "rot box".  Me, I'll be down by the river or out in the woods living, not watching some naked guy on the "rot box" make a fool of himself.  Everyone has an opinion, this is just mine, sorry Billy boy.

I've always been told if you don't have something nice to say then it's best to shut your mouth. I think you should not have even commented
I like osage

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2013, 01:18:44 am »
If nothing else these shows make you think. I saw a longbow on TV a couple years ago,wonderd about them,started looking up on line and found you guys. That led to arrows,all the cool things you fellows do and make.Never would have known how to make a bow without that "rot box" as the guy put it.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does