Author Topic: 1st bow kill. Proud Dad.  (Read 13259 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

1st bow kill. Proud Dad.
« on: June 24, 2013, 05:41:00 pm »
My Son beat me to the 1st kill with a bow. He said he missed with 2 flu flu's and hit on the 3rd attempt and finished it off with a point, he ended up loosing all of his flu flu's, ill be making more tonight as I lost 2 yesterday.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: 1st bow kill. Proud Dad.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:42:12 pm »
Excellent!  starlings can make for great practice.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:10:02 pm »
Kill the invasives! lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:18:45 pm »
Kill the invasives! lol
Precisely, Bob.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:57:34 pm »
Kill the invasives AND collect great hackles for fly tying!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 03:47:30 pm »
Kill the invasives AND collect great hackles for fly tying!
Exactly

Looks like a good shot :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JessaHein

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 04:35:54 pm »
Well done!  ;D
Vannon, että osun omenaan!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:06:35 pm »
Great shot. I hate Starlings,they run off my Purple Martins. I'm with you ,I pop em every chance I get. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:36:00 pm »
Is it legal to hunt starlings without any sort of license?
If it is legal, is it legal to use a potato gun?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:05 pm »
Is it legal to hunt starlings without any sort of license?
If it is legal, is it legal to use a potato gun?
Squirrel, for hunting any thing you should check with your states laws, as for potato gun I have heard they treat them like a sawed off shoot gun. However I am no expert, I do  strongly suggest talking to an official in your state before taking the word of anyone on any web site. It is you that butt that will be in trouble if it isn't legal. Have fun and happy hunting. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline keef

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:16 pm »
 It would be idiotic and mindless to shoot a potato gun at anything living....
Starlings are native to Europe and here in the UK they used to be so common... You'd see vast clouds of them at winter roost sites like smoke in the sky. They are now in massive decline and there are only a few small Flocks in my area.
They were also extremely useful for ridding the soil of wire worms and leatherjackets etc and were valued by a lot of farmers.
But alas, you have loads of them in the states and they are regarded as a pest and rightly so..Non natives are bad news all round. We have your Grey Squirrel and it is just about the biggest threat to native woodlands here..Strips bark and destroys our native trees wholesale!

One thing worth remembering here is ALWAYS hunt and kill humanely no matter how low a regard you have for the species. They arent evil, they are just an animal introduced by man. they have no right to suffer any more than native species ( so lay off with potato guns etc eh!) Not a lecture here just my point of view.

By the way and back to the point... great shot with the arrow there and keep it up...bit by bit you'll get rid of a few..

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 04:44:10 pm »
Me and a friend did penetration tests with a potato gun loaded with 1/2 potato. It was surprising. A potatoe gun is probably one of the most deadly weapons to a bird. Haven't tested that though.
I was actually joking about the potato gun....
Anyway, if you put a 1" plug into a potato gun with a 1 1/2 bore, then put 1/2 inch layer of 4mm BBs.. it will demolish almost anything.
It is cruel to shoot something, and let it take a long time to die.
BTW I don't hunt. I thought you had to have a license to hunt anything.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 05:36:55 pm »
Starlings are native to Europe and here in the UK they used to be so common... You'd see vast clouds of them at winter roost sites like smoke in the sky. They are now in massive decline and there are only a few small Flocks in my area.
They were also extremely useful for ridding the soil of wire worms and leatherjackets etc and were valued by a lot of farmers.
But alas, you have loads of them in the states and they are regarded as a pest and rightly so..Non natives are bad news all round. We have your Grey Squirrel and it is just about the biggest threat to native woodlands here..Strips bark and destroys our native trees wholesale!

One thing worth remembering here is ALWAYS hunt and kill humanely no matter how low a regard you have for the species. They arent evil, they are just an animal introduced by man. they have no right to suffer any more than native species ( so lay off with potato guns etc eh!) Not a lecture here just my point of view.

By the way and back to the point... great shot with the arrow there and keep it up...bit by bit you'll get rid of a few..

I wouldn't think it would be any more idiotic that shooting a blunt tipped small game arrow at a squirrel or rabbit. I would imagine it would make a clean kill. A few years ago I put a crossbow bolt on top of an apple in the potato gun and it shot pretty darn well. I wouldn't hunt big game with a tater gun but I think it would be fun to terrorize yard squirrels with.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:30:01 am »

I wouldn't think it would be any more idiotic that shooting a blunt tipped small game arrow at a squirrel or rabbit. I would imagine it would make a clean kill. A few years ago I put a crossbow bolt on top of an apple in the potato gun and it shot pretty darn well. I wouldn't hunt big game with a tater gun but I think it would be fun to terrorize yard squirrels with.
I bet it would certianly kill them. If a projectile equel or greater to the game animal's weight, of reasonable density, moving over 70 FPS, hits a solid hit(body, head, etc. Not legs, nose, tail, etc) on it, I think it would kill it very fast. For animals of any size. EX- hit a deer in the main body area with a 100 pound lead cannonball moving pretty fast(say 80 FPS) and you will most likely kill it near-instantly. Hit it with a 100 pound stone in the same spot, it will probably die instantly or near instantly. Hit a human with a 50 pound projectile in the main body (middle-upper chest) and they will likely be dead instantly.
I don't actually know that the above methods will work, but I think its pretty obvious. and-
Early humans could kill a small game animal(rabbit, squirrel, bird) with a 4-6 oz rock throwing it by hand, near 80 FPS or so. Clean, effective kills.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 01:04:42 am »
You can easily kill a rabbit or squirrel with a blunt tip, and depending on your gear, the arrow will likely pass through as well.
"SET" is always there !!!