Author Topic: my 2nd point(and the first one I have posted here)  (Read 6014 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

my 2nd point(and the first one I have posted here)
« on: June 25, 2013, 11:42:05 pm »
A (cruddy looking) sharp point made from a beer bottle bottom using a file for percussion, abrasion, and the tang for pressure flaking. It doesn't "grip" well enough to take thinning flakes reliably... plus this is strong glass, and I am not that strong...
I tried to take a thinning flake off of it and drove the tip into my finger, broke it off, and had to pull it out with pliers. I think I am done knapping for a bit. I see why you guys use copper or antler. Maybe BL or osage pieces?

bottom

EDIT- click to enlarge... you can see how horrid it really is ;)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline David_Daugherty

Re: my 2nd point(and the first one I have posted here)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:00:02 am »
Stick with it, cutting yourself is just part of it  :-\
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:09:55 am »
Yep, we all give blood sacrifices to the spirit of the stone. It heals pretty quick. I started Abo & with glass.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:59:00 am »
Don't worry about the look of it, all points will have mistakes and imperfections. It doesn't matter what stone it is or who made it, the flaws are what make them cool and unique. Oh, and wear some leather gloves   :D

Offline papoints

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:08:28 am »
Don't give up!  That point would do the job intended and is way more point like than my second.  If you are going to knap glass you can make yourself a pressure flaker with a dowel and a soft nail from one of the big box stores.  Get yourself a hand pad and go to town!  Use the file to sharpen the flaker  :D  I bet that tempered steel didnt grab the edge very well.
Jason

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:26:49 am »
you're getting there.  Go on youtube and look for paleomanjim, allergichobit (our own jackcrafty) and flintknappingtips.  Those are the three best knapping channels on youtube.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »
Don't give up!  That point would do the job intended and is way more point like than my second.  If you are going to knap glass you can make yourself a pressure flaker with a dowel and a soft nail from one of the big box stores.  Get yourself a hand pad and go to town!  Use the file to sharpen the flaker  :D  I bet that tempered steel didnt grab the edge very well.
Jason
the tang of the file seems very soft. I can easily bend it (and have several times making this point). I can also scratch it with my pocketknife... which is high carbon.
I have gloves, but I think I would cut myself more with them than without(they are BIG)... I have watched many of allergichobbit's knapping vids... that's how I made this point...
I am not giving up, I am giving my finger overnight to clot and heal a bit ;) I am going to try agian today!
I think this is going to turn into a bad hobby... I will spend too much time doing it...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:10:23 pm »
This helped me tremendously when I was starting out. http://www.cavemanchemistry.com/oldcave/projects/stone/bottle.html

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:16:00 pm »
is it just me that can not see the picture? Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 06:45:56 pm »
Thesquirrelslinger I did this one today for ya.  Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvl3e21z2ew

Offline papoints

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:07:11 pm »
Jason
the tang of the file seems very soft. I can easily bend it (and have several times making this point). I can also scratch it with my pocketknife... which is high carbon.
I have gloves, but I think I would cut myself more with them than without(they are BIG)... I have watched many of allergichobbit's knapping vids... that's how I made this point...
I am not giving up, I am giving my finger overnight to clot and heal a bit ;) I am going to try agian today!
I think this is going to turn into a bad hobby... I will spend too much time doing it...

I don't do well with gloves either.  Not saying that you or anyone else shouldn't wear them but I like to feel the work.  Did you use indirect with the file?  I never thought of that.  Luckily flintknapping cuts seem to heal quickly- probably because the flakes are so darn sharp.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:19:06 am »
I don't do well with gloves either.  Not saying that you or anyone else shouldn't wear them but I like to feel the work.  Did you use indirect with the file?  I never thought of that.  Luckily flintknapping cuts seem to heal quickly- probably because the flakes are so darn sharp.

That's precisely it actually.  Glass and obsidian are the sharpest materials known to man.  They literally go in between the cells instead of cutting through them.  Chert and other materials, not so much but still heal pretty fast.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »

That's precisely it actually.  Glass and obsidian are the sharpest materials known to man.  They literally go in between the cells instead of cutting through them.  Chert and other materials, not so much but still heal pretty fast.
yea, the spot where I drove a flake into my finger seems to be healing abnormally fast.
but the big cut on the back of my finger isn't.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 01:47:45 pm »
Did a flake run into the back of your hand or did thr point?

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »
Did a flake run into the back of your hand or did thr point?
I was holding the point, it slipped and the pointy end of the point hit the back of my left ring finger. not a deep cut, but its wide, and right above the joint. Makes it hard to bend my finger, makes it seem like its much bigger.
I was holding the point, flaking with pressure near the pointy end, my pointer finger was right next to the end of the point. Drove a small flake under the corner of the nail, not super far in(I got it out with a knife and pliers, it was easy). It was a small, spear-like flake. Nearly healed, and its only been 2 days!