Author Topic: first bow in progress  (Read 4463 times)

Offline mitchman

first bow in progress
« on: November 19, 2007, 10:44:24 pm »
so this is my first bow that is almost done. i still need some rawhide. hopefully soon. openig day is monday. wish me luck ;D

anyways its tillered almost fully now. it draws at like 40# at 27 but hopefully looking at 45 50 with rawhide on the back. what do you tink about that? it is red oak board, walnut and cedar handle. some antler nock tips.

so hows it look.

any tips or help would be much appreciated

thanks
   mitch .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mitchman

Re: first bow in progress
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:45:22 pm »
another

Offline mitchman

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 10:46:08 pm »
one more

Offline mitchman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:47:48 pm »
last one i swear  ;D!!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:47:41 am »
Just looking at the brace picture I'm guessing that the inner limbs are a little stiff.
Gordon

Brokestick

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 08:48:04 am »
I have to agree with gordon, unless you take some off the inner limbs, it will take a lot of set mid-limb.  I know from personal experience, since I tend to have the same problem.  Since it's almost fully tillered, you may just want to go with it, rather than risk lowering the weight any.  Rawhide backing probably will not increase your draw weight, and if it does, it will add enough weight to the limbs to negate any performance advantage.  It is however a good insurance policy against breakage.  My second attempt was a white oak board and the end of one limb smacked me in the temple when it broke on the tillering stick (my screenname describes most of my early bows)  If you want to increase performance, sinew is the way to go, but there is a lot of curing time involved.  I'm not sure, but a heavy silk backing might do the trick.  Anyone out there with any experience on that?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:09:06 am »
I would keep working on it until the tiller is correct. Even though it will come out light, the experience gained will be valuable. Then make another with what you learned.
Gordon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:47 am »
Can you show us some pictures at partial draw? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 01:36:45 pm »
You did'nt say how long the bow is, if its long enough you can pike it and retiller the inside limbs to get somebending there.
By piking it the bow will get stronger. Also it looks like the riser is glued directly to the belly with no fades on the bow itself
if so if the handle area flexes at all the riser will most likely pop off. Good Luck
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mitchman

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 04:45:51 pm »
its 58 inches long and there are 2 inch fades. i will try to post a partial draw later. what is piking 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 09:13:47 pm »
piking is when you cut the tips off and make it shorter and stronger, but at 58" I wouldn't recommend it
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mitchman

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 07:50:16 pm »
well here is a full draw and a pic of the handle i made of some rawhide from my first buck.

i know the lower limb is stiffer, and am alright with that. i saw on other posts and stuff that some time people do that. i think it was just the wood, because the stiffer wood is actually thiner than the weak limb. i dont know but im cool with it cuz its shooting pretty good. 

im planning on backing it but dont have enough rawhide to put it on in one piec or two pieces for that matter. all well im not sealling it yet so i can do it later.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 07:51:03 pm »
 one of the handle, and one of it braced.

a finnish native

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 03:26:57 pm »
I'm impressed that the bow is in one piece. it bends too much on mid limbs and not enough from the fades and tips. that kinda tiller will stress the mid limbs too much and thus create string follow and chryshals, witch eats up the potential performace of the bow.