Author Topic: Another osage bow  (Read 8015 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Another osage bow
« on: November 20, 2007, 01:51:29 am »
This is a 62" osage bow I finished back in September. The limbs are 1-3/8" tapering down to 3/8" tips. It came in a little lighter than I wanted drawing only 47# @28". I was hoping for something between 50-55#. If I had used some of my other osage I think it would have made weight easy, but this wood was very light with thin rings and a lot of early growth. As light as it is, it still shoots as well as some of my heavier bows. Right off the string it shows just a hint of set but comes back straight after a few minutes. It won't wear you out carrying it either, the finished bow only weighs 18oz.
 I covered the limbs with a couple timber rattlers I killed back in the summer and just used some plain black leather for the grip.  Nothing fancy, just clean and simple. I finished it with satin poly.
I helped my brother make one from the same log. His is virtually identical except it has beavertail for the grip.  Thanks for lookin, Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Another osage bow
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 02:06:49 am »
BTW, my brother already made meat with his. This was his first year shooting a traditional bow of any kind.
After he went with me to the TN Classic, he said he would hunt with one, "only if I make it myself, I wouldn't have one of them fiberglass bows if ya gave it to me" So we did and he showed me how it was done. Within two days, he was outshooting me and as you can see, made a pretty shot on this doe. I think I just might convert him yet!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:40:34 am »
That's about as nice a tiller job as they come. I love it.
Gordon

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:16:31 am »
That bow has a striking resemblance to another one Ive seen some where.....lol.  ;)
Great job on that one Shannon. ;D  Why havent you got a deer with your selfbow yet?  >:D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 09:23:18 am »
Very good tillerjob! I like the grip, too ;)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 09:35:46 am »
I really Like the handle on your bow. And what a great shot on that dear.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 10:16:22 am »
Another beauty, S.F.  I especially love that unbraced profile.
-Tom

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 10:26:40 am »
WOW!!
What a fantastic job! Well done. How did you flip the tips? Dry heat?
47#? That'll kill almost anything you shoot at!
Looks like maybe BOM X 2?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 10:48:08 am »
Thanks guys, i'm glad you like it. As you all can tell, Ryan has strongly influenced my bow making. You know what they say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Don't be mad at me Ryan, I just love the way you do 'em ;D
  My next project will be an attempt at a full working recurve.  As for why I haven't killed one yet, i'm just waiting for a big one ;) ;) Really, i've had several deer well in range, they just all seem to be facing me or straight away or too close (straight under me). I did kill a doe with my Martin Savannah the other day. I've got two more doe tags and till January to do it so I ain't worried just yet.  adb3112, I used dry heat to flip the tips and as for BOM, I think I already know where my vote's going and I ain't voting for myself. I can think of a couple bows more worthy of my vote and the month isn't even over yet!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 11:35:12 am »
Great looking bow. It appears to have a nice short handle area.  Good work.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 01:06:33 pm »
That's another fine looking weapon. Great job, looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 01:17:37 pm »
You seem to have the knack of producing beautiful bows. Well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

a finnish native

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 01:17:56 pm »
very neat indeed. what grit does your finishing sandpaper have?

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 02:15:34 pm »
HEy man, that's a really ugly bow.  The tiller is horrible, it is uneven, and I'm sure it shoots like a wet noodle.  I think you need to give that bow to me ASAP so nobody knows that you made it.  I'll put my name on it instead, that way when people see me with it they make fun of me instead of you.   I can take the brunt of the criticisms.   ;)
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 07:55:42 pm »
Don't be silly! ;D You know I'm not mad at you....... ::)  ;)
I'm flattered someone likes my work enough to to want to try an copy me......gives me a big head. ;D
And about the deer thing, I was just busting your rocks about not using your selfbow.... :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....