Author Topic: Cedar dilema  (Read 2783 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Cedar dilema
« on: November 20, 2007, 04:59:29 pm »
Hey I could use a little help with some ERC.
 My question is ,do I have to chase a ring? How much heart wood do I have to have if any? Do I have to leave it wide and long?
In other words HELP!!!!!! ??? ??? ???
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Trapper

Re: Cedar dilema
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:47:01 pm »
I try too just strip the bark off of it down too that first hard layer and then I just use that for the back , but on big logs and there is alot of sapwood then I guess you would have too chase a ring, but I wouldnt worry too much , it can be done but its hard, and Ive always sinew backed all the ones Ive made. I like too have a heartwood belly but sometimes its hard too find the right peice too do that with. I like a pyramid shaped bow out of cedar, but some guys like the english longbow style. so I guess it works both ways. Mark made a nice ELB out of cedar here not long ago .     Trapper

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:08:39 pm »
Thanks a bunch. It looks like that first layer inder the bark has been damaged. I had planned on rawhide backing it for security.
The pyramid style is a good idea. This piece has alot of white wood on it. I would like to see an all heart wood belly with a thin layer of sap wood on the back.I was thinking 2"wide with 1/2" tips and around 60" to 62" long.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 04:22:36 am »
Hi, ERC is a juniper and as far as I know all juniper's can be treated as a 'White Wood'.  No ring chasing necessary, the sap wood is just as strong as the heart.  Of course the wood is weak in tension , but works great with a light backing.  I've made a couple of juniper bows that I decrowned and backed just so I would get more heart wood in the bow.  They didn't shoot better, but they sure looked nice.  If you're decrowning before backing, I think its safe to violate some rings, as the backing is going to be doing the tension part.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline nugget

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 09:45:09 am »
Sounds like a plan. I will keep ya posted and post pics when done.Thanks guys