Author Topic: Yarnell Fire  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Yarnell Fire
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:11:51 pm »
Well, the Arizona fire season is off to a very tragic start. We just lost 19 hotshots in the Yarnell Fire.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Yarnell Fire
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:19:25 pm »
Read that this morning, so sad.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »
So sad!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »
God be with them...those wildfires out west are one dangerous beast to contend with..they move fast,and can turn on a dime.... I remember seeing some crazy fires when living in western Colorado,and one day woke up to a inch of ash covering EVERYTHING...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:29 pm »
That's a real tragedy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:20:30 am »
Hot shot #20 was separated from the rest of the crew and survived.  Extra smoke and prayers for him.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:58:21 pm »
one of the men that died named Dustin Deford was a good friend of mine in fact on fathers day while he was fighting fire i was hunting squirells with his youngest brother nathanial, his dad is the pastor of the babtist church here in Ekalaka Mt. he helped teach the youth group this winter, he was awesome at ultimate frisbee and just a great guy who loved the lord and gave everything he had. he was friend and i will never forget him he will always hold a special place in my heart. please pray for his family they sure need it.      Duck
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Poggins

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 01:12:03 am »
As a volunteer firefighter for fifteen years news like this catches me off guard still .
Been praying for their families and friends .
I've been through the same wild land training that these crews go through and the shelters that we are provided with are a last chance option , thinner than aluminum foil and if you pack them around a lot they start to get tiny holes in them . You have to remove all the fuel from around you ( brush, leaves, and your saws and their fuel ) then deploy your shelter and hold it down so that the wind does not blow it off . They are not designed for prolong or extremely hot fires. I've been in some bad fires that burned green postoaks off at the ground , the fires would burn a deep red instead of orange and cedars would burst into flames before the fire even got to them .
In Oklahoma we've had some bad ones in the droughts we've had but we have roads all over so we can get access to most of them and we have just protected structures until the fires went by.
As firefighters we put ourselves in harms way to give others a chance to get away and save everything we can , and things can get bad at times, and fires will create their own winds and make them unpredictable .