Author Topic: wild salad  (Read 996 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
wild salad
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:55:50 pm »
I've been trying to get myself to eat healthier lately so today i had my first wild salad. Picked some purslane, plantain,woods sorrel, and dandelion leaves, all in my backyard. Put a little olive oil and red vinegar on it, and it was one of the best tasting salads i ever ate. Definitely wont be my last. Think i will keep researching wild edibles so i can take more advantage of natures free bounty.
Steve Bennett

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: wild salad
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:41:47 pm »
  Man I  love  purslane!!!! any way  I can get it,,it's all over my yard.  I have a little story;  my buddy Don (master gardener)  this guy should be on this site but he says  he's too old? 68??  he's  a knapper bowyer  he does it all  I'll  keep tyring,,any way  I'm  weed eating  this stuff that took over all the edges of my  lawn cursing  the hole bit!!  Don  says  "Did you freeze a bunch of this  before you got  the wacker out?"  many bad words later  he bends over plucks a hand full  and starts eating??  then he dares  me to try it!   well the rest is history  I like it fried w|garlick crushed red pepper and cannellini beans with parm cheese  any way good for you!!!!   JeffW

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »
I had never tried purslane untill today( didnt know what it was untill last night ) but i sure wont be weeding it out of my garden anymore. Great tasting stuff.
Steve Bennett

Offline wildman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:26:14 pm »
This may be hard to believe, but I eat alot of stinging nettle. Cook it as you would any other green mix with some poke yum yum yum.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:15:58 am »
Mmmmmmm purslane :) soon I'll have persimmons everywhere to. Any of y'all had agarita? That's good to. nothin like free food
I like free stuff.