Author Topic: Strangs.....................  (Read 3969 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Strangs.....................
« on: November 20, 2007, 09:24:21 pm »
Want to make my own strings. Where can I find pure cotton string? In a workable diameter? Or how thin of a piece of rawhide do I need to start with?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Strangs.....................
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:44:47 pm »
Don't know how cotton would work. B-50 dacron or linen cord/thread work good in the store-bought department. If you wanna make prmitive strings, sinew, gut, or rawhide are probably the best bet. With rawhide, cut a piece in a spiral to get a long thong about 1/8"-1/4" or so wide. Try to cut it as uniform in width as you can. You can test it with a scale to find its breaking strength and figure out how many strands you need. Wet it, twist it up tight, and hang a heavy weight from it until it dries.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 09:49:28 pm »
How does the scale work???????????
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:29:24 pm »
Tie a sample of the strand to the scale, and pull until it breaks. Note what poundage it breaks at. Or tie a bucket to it and add weight until it breaks, then weigh the bucket. Try to tie/wrap it so that you're measuring the strand, not the knot. Then figure how many strands you need to make a string for your bow.The breaking strength of a safe bowstring should be about 4X the draw weight of the bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:22:23 pm »
So a produce scale or a fish scale. Or mabe a Bow scale. I got it now. Thanks