Author Topic: Good place for "nappin" rocks in Oklahoma  (Read 26950 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Good place for "nappin" rocks in Oklahoma
« on: November 20, 2007, 10:05:36 pm »
Does anyone know of a good place to get some free access rocks suitable for knapping (along cuts in highways, along rivers, lakes, etc) here in Oklahoma?   

I've been watching the YouTube videos and just received my first how-to book on the subject and now I need some rocks.

Thanks in advance

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
Re: Good place for "nappin" rocks in Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 11:07:25 pm »
Well until I read your full post I would have referred you to Cowboy and the others who think the best place for "nappin" is the "john"  :o
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 06:18:47 am »
Marie I kike to nap at work :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

gene roberts

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:12:55 am »
Couldnt knappin on the" john" get dangerous.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:53:05 am »
 ::)  Ok, ok, KNAPPING Rocks.  Not "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" rocks. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:45:34 pm »
Ha, ha, knappin in the john - I'm in a hotel right now, don't give me any idea's ;D. Otoe, man I've checked out several leads in OK for rocks but they were all dry. That doesn't mean it's not there, just that I don't know where to look - KS too but the same story. Their are those that have honey holes up there but won't even tell their moma's - if ya need some for starters send me a PM.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:34:21 pm »
I wonder if anyone has every sleep knapped. You know just like sleep walking only sleep knapping. I guess if they did then they would have been nap knapping.  Lol   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 12:08:21 am »
        Danny............Dude ya have TOO MUCH time on yer hands ! ;D....bob

donrhudy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 01:13:16 am »
Mike, if you still care, try around Waynoka.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 01:50:54 am »
I'm always on the look out.  Thanks for the info.

Mike

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 03:22:14 pm »
otoe, im in the same boat your in. i live out west of okc about 80 mi. ive done a considerable amount of researching on it. kay county seems to have a lot of flint that is workable. there's a type of chert called 'frisco chert' that is from south east of okc. keokuk flint is in oklahoma but i have yet to find out where. a lot of knappers just drive to north central texas to get the high grade, highly workable edwards chert. its located in an area roughly from fort worth to fredricksburg and east as far as austin. if you check e-bay theres rock to be had cheap there but no way to assure quality. it seems that workability can differ considerably even from cobble to cobble so youre probably better testing the rock yourself as you gather it. hope this helps.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 02:09:45 am »
Thanks Carpenter.  I find myself looking in creeks and road cuts every where I drive.  Plus I carry my boppers and tool kit with me just about every time I take a road trip, just in case there's rocks in them thar hills.   ;D

Mike. 

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 10:05:54 pm »
Sound like me Mike :D. Always on the lookout for trees, arras, rocks - I need to pay more attention to the road ;D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:09:40 pm »
i live out west of okc about 80 mi.

Then you need to see if you can find a place along the Canadian River Bed that you can hunt...there should be all kinds of Frisco and Keokuk Flint and Alibates too...if you are lucky.....thats where I find mine here in the Panhandle....is along the Canadian River Breaks....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 11:35:33 pm »
north canadian or south canadian?
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter