Author Topic: Good place for "nappin" rocks in Oklahoma  (Read 26955 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Good place for "nappin" rocks in Oklahoma
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 02:13:57 am »
north canadian or south canadian?

I would be guessing....but I think the North Canadian is the part running through Hutchison County and through to Oklahoma...I find all of my Flint in the Breaks...Canyons caused by the Canadian over the millennium...I get all kinds of Alibates mostly
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline xin

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 02:25:48 am »

there are deposits  of novaculite in southeastern OK , but I 'm not sure exactly where.   could be east of the Antlers area.

Offline xin

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 02:40:15 am »
;you could save yourself some time and money if you ordered  some novacullite (heat treated) from Dan' Whetstone.  Good heat treated novaculite is beautiful and a lot easier to knap than Edwards Plateau chert.  The idea of finding your own rock and heat treating it yourself haas a lot of fantasy appeal, but unless you have a job and truck that takes you areas with plentiful chert that can be picked up without being shot and a place to heat treat it with plentiful cheap fuel, its just a lot cheaper and easier to buy it.  Also ;you're knapping and not wasting all your time looking for something to knap.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 03:24:41 pm »
Thanks xin, I'll give them a shot. I hear treated navaculite knapps like "butter".  I like looking for the stuff too.  It's kind of like hunting for meat vs. buying it at the grocery store.   ;D

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 12:05:40 am »
Thats what I'm talking about Mike....searching for it is half the fun....and good excercise for my Old Bones too!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline xin

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 02:13:55 am »
Nothing wrong with hunting for your own stuff, I do it myself; however I like to always have a supply of good knappable material on hand to turn to gravel or points.  If you want some Edwwards Plateau chert, go to Campwood, Tx , take highway 55 South toward Uvalde.  The highway crosses  the Nueces River about 5 or 6 miles south of Campwood.  You can pull off the highway and park under the bridge where you can load your car or truck down with all the chert you want.  A lot  of it is some of the nicest rootbeer you've ever seen.  Various other colors also occur.  Good luck and have fun.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 10:42:03 am »
That sounds interesting xin. I have driven far and wide all over that country but have never traveled hwy 55. Looks like that bridge is actually in Edwards county too. May be the same stuff I generally pick up - think next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll check it out :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline xin

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 06:45:24 pm »
Cowboy:  You can't go wrong.  Been picking up stuff there for years.  The locals fish and swim there, so you don't have to worry about getting run off or run in for trespassing.  It's also nice to be able to park close to where you are gathering so you don't have far to carry a 5 gallon bucket of chert.  You are a phenomenal knapper!!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 06:50:28 pm »
Thanks xin. I started out picking up rocks in the Leon creek inside San Antonio city limits - always had a funny feeling about being down there like somebody was watchin me or somthing. Then after awhile I found the flint feilds SW of town, lot more relaxed out there (LaCoste). You aught to check that out some time.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 12:22:15 am »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I've cut and pasted the directions into my files for future treasure hunting purposes.   8)

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 12:41:46 am »
hey otoe, i just found out that the real name for keokuk is peoria chert. im  gonna have to go look it up and see if i can find where its located. i saw some pics of that kay county and it looks like some nice rock.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 01:06:15 am »
Hmmmmm Peoria ehhhhh?.  I wonder if that has anything to do with Peoria, like the street in Tulsa? 

From my, "I don't know beans about knapping rock" point of view, the Kay County seems to be pretty good stuff.   ::)

Mike

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 02:17:18 am »
just looked up the peoria chert aka 'keokuk'. its in several chert formatios from southeast kansas to the ouachita mountains in southeast ok. most concentrated in east central oklahoma and near miami, oklahoma. theres supposed to be a big quarry near peoria, ok.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 03:30:40 am »
one more thing, i just found out about some alibates deposits about 15 miles southeast of me so im gonna check that out this weekend.

--Carpenter

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 03:32:07 am »
one more thing, i just found out about some alibates deposits about 15 miles southeast of me so im gonna check that out this weekend.

Knew ther had to be some close....good luck...it is some Pretty Rock....
2024...We Will Overcome