Author Topic: Traditional archery in D.C. area, Maryland, and NoVa  (Read 6703 times)

Offline Ringeck85

Traditional archery in D.C. area, Maryland, and NoVa
« on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:06 pm »
Hi!  My name is Jonathan and I'm interested in either starting or joining a traditional archery group in the D.C. area.  I'm willing to drive about thirty minutes out from there, but anything more than that is going to be difficult for me to do every week. 

My personal focus is on martial archery.  I intend to study the English longbow/warbow, but any other bow style that has been used historically in war is fine, or any traditional archer that just wants to practice is welcome!

I do have a nearby archery range that I intend to go to, I can give you directions via pm.

I intend to go as soon as I get my bow and arrows shipped to me (hopefully  by the end of the month), so I can't practice right away.

But I wanted to know who is in the area and would like to practice with me!
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Traditional archery in D.C. area, Maryland, and NoVa
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:53 pm »
Look up Arundel Archers. They are in Crofton, MD, not too far from DC.  Not sure if they are strictly traditional or not, my guess would be not.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:31:05 am »
Sorry to chime in so late on this, but I just discovered the topic. I am looking into Arundel Archers myself. I do most of my shooting in the backyard, but at only 100 feet or so, there's only so much I can do. Are either of you a member of AAA?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:15:16 pm »
Just found this topic myself.  I use to be a member of AAA back in '02-'05 and I checked out their range in '11.   Unless they have changed their rules/policies they have a no wooden arrows rule.  They really seem to favor FITA and compound archery.  I have seen some traditional shooters there but they all use aluminum or carbon arrows.  Not friendly towards primitive archers.  If you can make the drive check out Baltimore Bowmen.  I'm currently a member there and they are very friendly towards wooden arrows and primitive archers.

Offline Yorkist

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:23:54 pm »
Well, I'm coming to this very late but I would be interested in joining or helping to found a primitive archer club in the DC area.  Like you I am big on the English warbow.  I am personally located in Fairfax County, Virginia.  PM me if you are still interested.