Author Topic: incence cedar??  (Read 2926 times)

hunterman

incence cedar??
« on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

took a visit to my grandparents place today. first thing i did was go out in the back and look through the numerous logs on the forest floor.  ;D

found one that i thought might work for a bow. looks kinda like a juniper. my grandma said the leaves looked like they were cedar and the only cedar they had around was insence cedar. no idea what that is, and i was wondering if anyone knows if it's a good bow wood. 

i don't have a camera with me so here's some info.
they live in the sierra nevadas in northern california and the color of the wood is sort of a light orange color with white sapwood that peels easily. Bark is sort of a brownish red and the leaves look like flat scaly pine needles.

Offline waterlogged

Re: incence cedar??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 02:45:12 am »
I know the exact type of tree you're talking about, and it will make a bow, but it's extremely weak in tension. Usually you'll have to back it, but even then, it's only practical for bows below about #45 I'd say. Where are they in Northern California? There are some really good bow woods around here.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:13:52 am »
Hi,  I've heard anecdotal reports of bows made from incense cedar and western red cedar.  Every story has ended "but the bow blew up after a few shots."

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 05:47:08 am »
Hunter, I found a board of incence cedar at my wood suppliers a few years ago, very straight and clear with no knots. I backed it with maple if I remember right and it made a very sweet bow, as far as I know it is still shooting it was simple pyramid around 50#. It looked to me like erc but slightly more orange rather than red. Steve

hunterman

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:32:19 am »

they live up by angles camp and arnold. pretty small towns. if there's any better wood around there, let me know.

can i back it with oak or silk?? grandparents won't let me cut down their maple trees  :'(