Author Topic: Takedown types?  (Read 8422 times)

Offline Kegan

Takedown types?
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:16:32 pm »
Well, I'm builing a plain hickory D bow for a build aong to show other young archer how I build my bows. So, I'd like to "spice it up" since I have no real esire for a plain bow. So, takedown >:D! But, The handle is 1 1/2" wide, and 7/8" thick. What could I do to  make this a take-down? I was thinking a hing, but putting an alignment pin in it seems like it might cause problems. Any thing I might be able to do?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Takedown types?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:56:38 pm »
First of all a D bow bends threw the handle and wouldn't be a good candidate for a take down, you need a ridged handle for a take down bow. I assume you mean the grip is 7/8" wide and 1 1/2" deep. You could use the style of take down like I make from time to time. I make my own sleeve with fiberglass mesh and epoxy. There was a article on this in pa several years ago, not sure what issue. I was taught how to do it by the author of the article.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:59:04 pm »
oops
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:02:10 pm by Ryano »

Offline Ryano

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:01:13 pm »
lets try that again. dont know why the words are so chopped up...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ryano

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:06:17 pm »
thats better

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 01:20:01 pm »
Oh Oh Ryano said the f word....thought this was a family site ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »
I was just waiting for that Dana.....lol.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:23:13 pm »
Well I'm glad you wern't disappointed ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 03:43:45 pm »
When it comes down to it, Ive never seen a takedown that 100% primitive. They all involve metal, fiberglass, ect. I had thoughts of trying one this style with linen or silk instead of fiberglass. I'm not sure if it would work or not.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 07:38:20 pm »
It's a wide handled D bow- 1 1/2" wide, and 7/8" deep. I was thinking about using the same type as you were using (having read the article you are refering to), only with a tougher metal sleeve. The entire bow bends, and there isn't a whole lot in the handle, though there is some. I think I will wind up using a hinge, as this would simply have the two peices of wood pushing tightly into each other. I would have to use a shorter alignment pin of course, but none the less. I guess I'll just have to see how it all goes.

Oh, and sorry about my initial post, I was typing too fast, only had five minutes :o!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 09:10:16 pm »
Wasn't there an article in PA about a hinged bow? Your right Ryano about takedowns not being primitive
but I saw an opportunity to poke some fun at ya, so I took it. ;D
Keep us posted Kegan.

Manistique, MI

Offline akila

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 11:11:04 am »
Hy Ryano.. your ideea is gr8 i realy like it..but  i have a question for you plz...iff you put the bottom limb out, how will it stay in place later whenn you shoot the bow??...i taught that  on takedowns..the upper limb is the limb that is demountable.. :-\

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 11:22:15 am »
Hy Ryano.. your ideea is gr8 i realy like it..but  i have a question for you plz...iff you put the bottom limb out, how will it stay in place later whenn you shoot the bow??...i taught that  on takedowns..the upper limb is the limb that is demountable.. :-\
The bow is under tension from being strung.  Once the bow is strung I dont think you could pull the limb out if you wanted.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline akila

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 02:38:25 pm »
You right Justin...thks..

Offline akila

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 02:40:40 pm »
When it comes down to it, Ive never seen a takedown that 100% primitive. They all involve metal, fiberglass, ect. I had thoughts of trying one this style with linen or silk instead of fiberglass. I'm not sure if it would work or not.
This is exactly whatt i wass thinking...iff silk will do the job...but whatt do you think aboute raw hide and using hide glue??? do you think it will srink to much and that the limb will not fit in later??