Author Topic: Takedown types?  (Read 8419 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Takedown types?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 06:44:35 pm »
When it comes down to it, Ive never seen a takedown that 100% primitive. They all involve metal, fiberglass, ect. I had thoughts of trying one this style with linen or silk instead of fiberglass. I'm not sure if it would work or not.

Maybe so but I know it can be done
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

jamie

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 06:55:39 pm »
thats awesome. i wanna build one now but i stil havent gotten around to doing marcs toilet takedown yet.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 07:34:38 pm »
If one wanted to make an all-primitive takedown, couldn't they just tie two limbs (of a bow) that are 6" longer than necessary together with braided rawhide? Overlap them at the center for six or so inches, maybe taper them slightly to hold them in your hand?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 07:48:58 pm »
...............Yup, can do as ya say, can even wrap with linen er string(strong).............bob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 08:08:30 pm »
...............Yup, can do as ya say, can even wrap with linen er string(strong).............bob

Hmmm, do you know how short a handle I could get away with?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 09:31:45 pm »
                 Can probably get away with 4" on each limb. Depending on how strong bow is. 6" would be safer though. Would taper end a abit ta make it more eye pleasing, ifn that matters ta ya and mark top and bottom limb when ya find out which way it shoots the best..................bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 04:55:40 pm »
  Ryan,I believe there is an older article about doing the same thing you did but using rawhide,sinew and hide glue.I'll dig back through some early Mag's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 03:12:55 pm »
There was an article in PA a few years back about Bhutanese archers. Their bows were take-down and primitive with no metal of modern materials. One limb overlapped the other at the handle and they were wrapped with an extra bow string(I believe). but cordage of some sort, at least. I have seen others with a diagonal cut handle like Ryan's but a longer bevel and it was wrapped with an extra bow string. A short dowel pin, or 2, would keep the handle from shifting laterally. You will be limited to a relatively light weight bow...probably up to 50# or so.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC