Author Topic: "Rotation Pressure Notching" for deep notching ABO  (Read 2370 times)

Offline iowabow

"Rotation Pressure Notching" for deep notching ABO
« on: July 08, 2013, 03:10:08 pm »
Maybe someone else has described this technique before but if not this is what I am calling it for now. I choose the title "Rotation Pressure Notching" because it describes the action of the process.

The following videos describe the process and technique for what I discovered of the last two days. However it has taken a year to gain the skills that were needed to do it correctly.

Please watch all videos they are not edited and contain failures and my solutions.

1. My first video covers the mechanics of the process.

2. The second covers preform work with no abrading (I use the antler to form the edge and do not abrade so that the contact point is sharp) Some will call it abrading but it is different trust me!

3. The third is how to set up for the notches and failure "TWICE"

4. The fourth is about how the clouds parted and I saw the light....Solutions

video 1.... http://youtu.be/MOTv12LLfKw
Video 2.... http://youtu.be/UQ2Vi6jdgDY
Video 3.... http://youtu.be/mI6xbe8-io0
Video 4.... http://youtu.be/FrpyqLuBbHM

** note.... I came up the idea of top and bottom in reference to the the ulna bone after video. this is discussed in 1st video but not demonstrated because the idea/practice had not be formed untill the andice point.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:25:18 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: "Rotation Pressure Notching" for deep notching ABO
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:35:23 pm »
I can't down load vids @ home!  >:(

Someone needs to "Sticky" all this ABO stuff so we can use it as a refference w/o having to look it up.

Please  O:) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:14:04 am »
Hey let me know what ya think Derick after you check it out. I only have like 5 views on these videos so the fan club is kinda small lol.

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:32:23 am »
Nice videos. I saw a fellow at letchworth do something similar but he was using copper. He held his pressure flaked perpendicular to the point, pressed in toward the tip then rolled his hand like you.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:47:57 am »
I think it is very simular to how I use an Ishi stick with the exception of the wheel like effect of the rounded ulna. I kinda thought the mechanics of it was unique. With the copper the angle change alters the direction of force and to a lesser degree platform placement (with copper placement  is predetermined). With the alna bone the angle and platform placement change like the turning of a gear or wheel. Or maybe its just all in my head and I am all wet on this thought.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:52:29 am »
I tried your technique with a copperhead version of your ulna bone rocker notcher.  Soy made this tool for me last year. Using it with this technique it worked SWEET!!!  I just dug out a little preform and gave it a shot.  I botched the first side with careless pressure from my fingers, but the second attempt worked great!  Thanks John!  Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 06:20:48 am »
Wow very cool those notches are really deep. It is great to see it working with copper as well.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:22:01 pm »
Cool Stuff Man! I'll try the ulna bone next time. Big end down! Thanks, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)