Author Topic: backing in the old days  (Read 3128 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
backing in the old days
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:49:46 pm »
Can anyone give me a good idea of the tools and techniques used to join wood laminations together?

Prefferably iron age composite bows. I would imagine saws, chisels, planes, maybe a drill.  Man how would you do all of that by eye. Ive seen the cross section of a few bows like the Egyptian  composite, and a very old bow from India. If they did not have jigs or anything like that I am profoundlyawed by that craftsmanship/
What do you guys think?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline PatM

Re: backing in the old days
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 04:43:57 pm »
 With a simple  sharp blade and patience you can make all those laminations. They also used clamping techniques that can offset any slight irregularities in gluing surfaces.
 Tim Baker would have you believe these bows are only possible with highly advanced culture and tools but there isn't always a huge amount of complexity involved in scraping two pieces of wood until they match closely enough to make a good joint..
 Pat

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 06:39:27 pm »
Bootboy,
Email me at markdesignhill@aol.com
I'll send you the little I have on the ancient two wood bow. This was an action wood backed bow dating back thousands of years. There is an atricle you can pay to view that tells you more.
Mark in England

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:41:43 pm »
With a simple  sharp blade and patience you can make all those laminations. They also used clamping techniques that can offset any slight irregularities in gluing surfaces.
 Tim Baker would have you believe these bows are only possible with highly advanced culture and tools but there isn't always a huge amount of complexity involved in scraping two pieces of wood until they match closely enough to make a good joint..
 Pat

And that not only goes for bows. Look at the amazing carpentry and furniature of the Amish and especially the Shakers. They only had simple hand tools, and their work is sheer artistry. Seeing thier work in person is an eye opener.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:17:05 pm »
high 5 to the amish !!
hahahahaha! I love hand tools and so far havent used any in bow making.
just a machette and a few files.....and a chisel.

......and some sandpaper and a plain and surform
knapp 'um if you got 'um