Author Topic: hawk rescue  (Read 4499 times)

Offline ssgtchad

hawk rescue
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:25:35 am »
Check out this little guy I rescued from the busy streets of Irving  TX. He was about to hop into yhe street when I found him. I'm thinking he's a sparrow hawk,  he was fearious little guy lol. No idea where the nest was. Any way he's at a bird of prey rehab center and will be released when he's ready
Always learning something new.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: hawk rescue
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16:28 am »
Good on you,cut little fellow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:28:58 am »
Somehow he kinda reminds me of my son when he just wakes up!  Lol!  Good on ya for the rescue!  Josh

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:59:28 pm »
Don't get to attached to it lol  8)
I like osage

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:06:13 pm »
 :) :) :)
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:55:00 pm »
Great Save! Jdub will be proud of you. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 09:50:15 pm »
Great Save! Jdub will be proud of you. dp

Very proud of you.

What rehab facility did he go to?  I wonder if I know anyone that works there?

If that is a kestrel and assuming (50/50 shot here) that it is a male, this is what he will look like when he's grown up.  This is my Hendrix mantling over a mouse I fed him:
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:03:34 pm »
By looking back at your photo, the feet look right, the gape (corners of the mouth) look right, so I am gonna guess that is a kestrel.  And this is the crapshoot part of the deal, I'm betting it's a female.  The adult feathers are just barely starting to come out and it looks like the shoulders of the bird are brown.  Males have the blue grey wings and females have the rusty brown coloration to the wings. 

These are the smallest falcons in the Western Hemisphere and they are common from northern Canada down to the tip of Argentina.  They are often almost entirely insectivorous in warmer climates and simply are hell on grasshoppers!  In weather where it gets really cold, they migrate south, we see a few stay over here in South Dakota in the winter, but not many.  In the colder climates they will switch from bug eating songbird behavior and suddenly remember they are FALCONS.  One day they will sit peacefully on a powerline with starlings, and the next they are eating the starlings!

Another member in here is a falconer and has flown kestrels on English sparrows and starlings in his yard.  Great sport!

Oh, and they dang good mousers, too.  By the time they are half grown they will eat a mouse a day until it gets below about 50 degrees then they want two a day!  Full grown, the female is about a quarter of a pound, the males a little smaller. 

That's your conservation class for the day, courtesy of the Black Hills Raptor Center Co-Founder...me!  Wildlife Education with a strong science based onservation message including support for hunting and other consumption based outdoors activities. 

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:41:15 pm »
Thanks for the lesson JW. Love the birds of prey. Kestrels are a favourite of mine. Common site on the fence lines back home. brings back good memories. Nice job on the rescue Ssgtchad!

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:46:17 pm »
Awesome. :)

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 11:57:28 am »
Thanks for the class JW! I'm the police in Irving, so animal control took the little fella to the rescue center. She told the lady has all kinds of raptors on site that are being rehabilitated.  I see a lot of redtail hawks around the city, but I've only seen one small one. It had taken a sparrow down o  the side of the road. It wasn't much larger than the sparrow lol. This little was feasting on any stray bugs that came anywhere near him. I've always had a fascination with birds of prey. This was a neat experience for me.  How did you get I to the rescuing raptors. I thought you had to have all kinds of fed permits. Thanks for your time

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
It started with me trying to help a lady get her springer spaniel to surrender a tennis ball he had taken from another dog at the local dog park.  She was the Exec director of a wildlife education program that was located on the grounds of Reptile Gardens.  I worked for them for a short time before that non-profit was shut down by it's very bored board of directors.  She and I were devastated and decided to start a new organization with similar mission and a very different business model, much leaner and efficient.

Three years later we have done over 500 programs, mostly in public school classrooms, and continue to operate on a shoestring budget.  We have a local family step up and donate a large parcel of land to us and we are getting ready to start a capital campaign drive to raise money to build a permanent facility for a base of operations. At that time our overseeing United States Fish and Wildlife agent will expand our "Special Use Permit/Education Permit" to include rehabilitation of injured birds of prey.  At this time we only do the educational stuff.  However, our local USF&W law enforcement agent gives us provisional permission on a case by case basis to step in and do what is necessary on rescue situations.  To date, I have wrangled 8 eagles and untold numbers of hawks, falcons, and owls.  Some have had fantastic recovery stories but many have been too far gone to recover. 

But, baby, that's Nature.  She is harsh.  For example, your little kestrel was probably booted outa the nest by her older and larger siblings while one or more parents looked on in tacit agreement.  Makes a good argument that maybe Nature doesn't want us helping out.  I can argue both sides of that argument with logic and data to support both sides!

Lastly, I can count on one hand, not using pinkie, thumb and forefinger, the number of programs similar to ours that includes hunting in their conservation message in a positive light.  There are others, I am sure, but I have yet to find 'em. At most, they will acknowledge that hunting may have some vague and undefined conservation purpose.

That's how I got to where I am and where I am, for that matter.  And lastly, NO YOU CAN'T PET THE BIRDS.  We don't wanna upset their feeding schedules!   >:D

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 03:27:21 pm »
Cant pet the birds lol . Ill speak with ac about this lady and her facilities and get you her contact info if you want it.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:07:48 pm »
Modern Dinosaurs are soooo cute when they're young...lol

Good work JW, wish I could help out... maybe when I win the lotto...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 11:50:14 pm »
Deja vu' all over again....somebody brought me a young female kestrel a few days older than the one posted in here.  They thought she was injured because their dog had been carrying her around in the backyard. 

She appears to be completely healthy, but too young to be on her own.  Tomorrow morning at dawn I am taking her back out to where she came from.  I will take her out and hold her gently by the legs and tip her over on her back.  That should cause her to start alarm cries!  Hopefully her parents will come winging over to rescue her.  If they show up I will turn her loose.  If not, I will end up hanging around there with her until they do! 

Fortunately, raptor parents are very dedicated to their young and likely haven't given up on finding her.  She needs to spend the next few weeks following them around while they hunt so that she can learn their strategies.  Wish her luck!