Author Topic: What is this stone I keep seeing? Agate?  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
What is this stone I keep seeing? Agate?
« on: August 10, 2013, 04:20:06 am »
In my search to catalog types of ancient arrowheads I keep seeing these stone heads made out of some beautiful rocks.

And even if I have no experience in napping and have yet to try it - I keep seeing one stone in particular that gives me the drive to be able to use points I made out of it.

and

The lovely looking turquoise hued stone with reds and browns - is that an agate or a jasper?
Also, what is that light teal stone in the top middle of the second image?

I'm sorry if this question is somewhat silly to those on these forums, I'm still learning my stones  :-[.

EDIT:
From Bone's topic I believe this is coral? I thought in a video I watched on youtube for stones one that locked very similar was referred to as an agate.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:51:45 am by Tetsuoh »
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: What is this stone I keep seeing? Agate?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:19:24 pm »
I think most of those arrowheads (mass made) are jasper. You said "ancient," so be aware these are all quite recently made - at least the ones you show here. I have seen them for sale many places and have often thought of re-knapping them - the bigger ones anyway, but you would have to find one in a flea market for cheap for it to be worth it. The smaller ones can however be quite cheap. Some may be agate, but I think most are jasper. I have seen some made of bloodstone and other very desirable and beautiful rock, but mostly agates.

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »
Ah let me clarify - I was searching the net for pictures of ancient arrowhead designs and these kept popping up.

I of course knew they were recent as that is rather evident, but they did draw my attention.

And thank you very much for helping. I figured they would be a jasper or agate as most of the colorful knapping work I have seen was of them, but was unsure and wanted to get a better identification for later.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:04:56 pm »
Check out this website www.flintknappers.com
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:39:50 pm »
A lot of those are India agate.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.