Author Topic: Gator arrows.  (Read 10451 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Gator arrows.
« on: July 15, 2013, 07:08:25 am »
Got invited to hunt Gators with Eddie[mullet] and Chris this year,I told him I wanted to kill one with home made stuff,this is the arrow I have came up with.
See what you thing. 150 grain point on a forshaft with brass rod added in the center to bring the point weight up to 250 or so.Ricer Cain shaft fletched with Turkey feathers.It has a hole drilled in the forshaft and a line attached that will have a bowie of some sort,hope to get an arrow in the gator and if not a lethal shot be able to track it done for the finishing shot,at least That is the plan. ??? :)
The point is 50.000 Cut off blade steel. :) Anybody ever done this let me know what you think of the plan. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline danny f

Re: Gator arrows.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:00:23 am »
i wouldnt want one stuck in me thats for sure. they look like they could take an elephant down, nice arrows. :)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:30:03 am »
Those look sweet, Pappy! I hope you get you a biggun!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:46:32 am »
How are you going to hunt this alligator?  The normal method is to shine them at night and snag them with a large fishing pole and reel them in close to the boat and shoot them in the head.  What body part are you going to be shooting with this arrow?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:00:10 am »
Yes at night so I understand,hope to get a close shot and put it in the soft spot in the head,if not I need the arrow to penetrate enough to hold with the barbs at the back of the point and the line stay with it so we can follow and hopefully get another good shot. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:07:55 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:12:26 am »
Let me preface this with I know nothing about gator hunting!  But I gotta say its in my top five bucket list hunts!  I was wondering if there is a tang on the point?  Just speculation, but it seems to me that your setup looks awesome if there is a tang that goes all the way back to where your hole is drilled for the cord.  It would cheap insurance to drill the hole through the tang and foreshaft so the point couldn't be pulled off the foreshaft.  I'm sure you probably already thought of that, but i just wanted to throw in my .02.  You know how us  youngguns are!  Lol!  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 11:19:07 am »
Nope Josh,It don't have a hole drilled there,but great idea,that's the kind of stuff I wanted to hear,modify ,modify till I get it the best and most reliable I can. Still got a month and a half to get the bugs worked out.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:28:11 am »
I sure hope you guys take some pics... before you start drinkin' beer!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 11:39:34 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 01:33:35 pm »
I'll post a picture of my arrows when I get home, Pappy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 02:24:13 pm »
How big of a gator are you guys gonna go after, Eddie? Might be fun after you perforate a big one!!!

Remember... gators and beer don't mix!!  8)

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:40:40 pm »
Nice looking arrows, Good Luck on the hunt. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »
I expect nothing smaller than 17 feet! lol  >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 05:03:28 pm »
  I shot 2 alone time ago with a compound. We had long skinny barbed points heavy string we fought them up and finished them off. My 2 were 3 and 4 footer. But one guy shot a 12 foot 800 some pounder we were told. We all shot him like 7 time with broad heads.  Those are big heads take a lot of bow to get that head though a 1/4 ,3/8 skin of a big one. And some areas are really tuff deflex bullets.
  But I'm sure you'll have fun. We did exspecially the ones that did'nt fall out of the boat.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »
Adam, we're after the biggest one we can get in the time Pappy has the time to stick around. And I don't think I've ever been on a gator hunt without a beer being involved somehow :D. The better shot is behind the front shoulder like anything else unless you are using a .22 ::). My buddy got an 8 footer last year with a 45# recurve with a pass thru shot. We're just trying to get an arrow or two in him to drag the floats. When he gets next to the boat he gets bang sticked. This will also be a first time for me with a permit 8).

Pap' here's my arrows, nothing primitive, I'd use my .17 if it was legal. :)I'm in it for the money, hoping to get one big enough to sell. Nobody wants to buy one under 9'. Under that and most people down here get the meat and bury the rest.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?