Author Topic: Gator arrows.  (Read 10455 times)

Offline adb

Re: Gator arrows.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 06:20:05 pm »
Man... I'd sure like to give that a try. I was just bein' facetious about the beer!!  8)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:14:28 pm »
Gator hunting seems the least ethical of all hunting we do.  They're so difficult to kill that it seems torturous.  For that reason I'll likely never hunt an alligator.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 10:11:31 pm »
They are not hard to kill. I've done it back in the day with .22's, a hammer, and a shovel.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:50 pm »
Good luck on that gator hunt, guessing you guys are gonna have some fun. No tips on the points from me Pappy, I don't know squat about gators except that you don't want any of your body parts to come into contact with their teeth.  ;D   Of course you probably already know that. :) :)   Good luck.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 11:52:19 pm »
Cool arrows Pappy. They should do the trick. Good luck on your gator hunt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 01:02:29 am »
They are not hard to kill. I've done it back in the day with .22's, a hammer, and a shovel.
  We're talking bow and arrow here.  Yeah, anything is easy to kill if you have the right tool.  Kill anything easy with enough dynamite! lol  I'm referring to Crooketarrow's anecdote.  I suppose I'm not really one to talk ethics though.  I guess to my statement was too general as there are multiple factors in killing an alligator and how easily that can happen.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 03:48:16 am »
Sweet Arrows!  Sounds like a blast. I was wanting to try hunting gator when i was in West Texas, but that was still pretty far from gator land, and license for non-res were too exp for my poor butt. Good luck!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 06:20:56 am »
Thanks guys,I feel sure it will be fun,can't help but be with Eddie and Chris. I know their are better ways to kill one,just want to do it if I can with selfbow and home made stuff. P Tim to each their own.  :o If it's legal I am usually in for it.  :) Kind of like catching a fish,got to be tough on the fish. ;) :) but bet you do that. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 09:24:45 am »
looks good pappy, good luck!  I've been wanting to do it with a stone point... but iv'e been a bit lazy about it... kinda figuring I'll end up getting my point and everything broke and end up with a lost gator..lol   Your setup seems to have good merit tho, I wouldn't hesitate to use it
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 10:31:28 am »
Cool lookin arrow Pappy! I agree w/ Josh though, If the shaft breaks away from the point, you'll want the point hooked to the line, not the shaft. Sounds fun Guys and you won't have to work out for months before going.  ;) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Marks

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 11:28:34 am »
I don't know much about gator hunting but I have been bowfishing a decent amount. You may already know this but the arrows like mullet has are fiberglass and are MUCH heavier than a standard arrow. Weight is the key as opposed to speed since your shot will likely be just a few feet away. Another thing that is important with modern equipment that may or may not be as big of a deal with primitive is your line. The modern arrows have a slide that keeps your line in front of your rest. If your line tangles on anything during the shot it can spring back at you and nobody wants that. This is a big deal with compounds because they have so many gadgets attached to the bow. A selfbow is much more streamline but I'd still keep it in mind. Your point looks fine to me. Looks like a little practice and tuning is all you need. Get comfortable with shooting it and handling your line and everything before you get on the boat because its hard to keep it all together when it gets hectic in the moment. Of course, you are a battle tested warrior and may have already known everything I already said. You just never know how much experience people have with things. Its like the difference on baseball and cricket. Both use a ball and bat but its a completely different ballgame. Take pics.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »
Nope Marks no experence at all on gators,quite a bit of bow fishing,thanks for the
advice,I will keep that in mind, the arrow ,head and all are a little over 800 grains. :) Think that is enough :-\  I know the heavy arrow does much better when shooting under the water,hopefully the gator will be floating on top. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 01:40:47 pm »
Very cool stuff hope ya get one
I like osage

Offline Adam

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 02:13:52 pm »
Wow Pappy, that sounds like a heck of an adventure!  I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 04:06:10 pm »
Just took a look at this.Sounds like a good time Pappy.Have fun.This could be good.When you come back you can thread the hunt,saying here's my alligator I shot with my snake bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed