Author Topic: gator arrow for Pappy  (Read 4381 times)

Offline seabass

gator arrow for Pappy
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:51:51 pm »
hey guys,here ia an arrow that i am making for Pappy.it is a 700 grain river cane shaft,200 grain ribtek broadhead pinned to an oak foreshaft.i added a slim steel leader to attach his line to.it has a 16 penny nail for front of ceter weight and to slide into the cane .this is one beefy arrow.i also added wild turkey feather fletchings and a self nock.all that is left to do is,wrap both ends of the cane and ship it to him.hope you guys like it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: gator arrow for Pappy
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:54:10 pm »
Nice

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:00:20 pm »
thanks Rob.man you are quick,i just posted it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:54:32 pm »
Neat - O Steve!  8) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:53 pm »
thank you Derik.i can't wait till Pappy sees it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:36:08 pm »
Sorry, but that arrow will pull out. The broadhead needs barbs. If you kill the gator with the shot, Great, But, you still have to keep it from sinking. If you use a detachable head you still have to get good penetration with the line you are using, that's where good spyder wire comes in handy, It is thin. Even if it gets shot in the tail and is pulling the float it will tire after awhile, and then you can stick it with a killing shot or harpoon.

We're not shooting off of a reel. And you might have to make a 10 to 15 yard shot. I'd rig up an arrow that will penetrate at that distance, with a line attached at the back. With a line attached at the front it gets real exciting when you are shooting off a dark boat with everyone holding lights and someone steps on the line coiled on the deck when you shoot. ;D

A simple stone point on a cane arrow will work, it did for thousands of years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:18 pm »
Cool,arrow and nice work Steve! I'm sure Pappy will like it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 12:57:52 am »
I'm sure you could file barbs into the back of broadhead pretty easy
I like osage

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 06:00:50 am »
Very cool,I am with Eddie,it will need barbs on the back of the head,no problem to do that. :) I like the wire attachment,Wished I had thought of that on the ones I made. Thanks Steve very cool arrow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 07:43:03 am »
sorry Eddie,i will modify it.never been gator huntin,just having fun trying to make Pappy an arrow.if it was me,i would use my regular fishing arrows with safty slides and gator points.Pappy wants to use homemade stuff.i will see what i can come up with tonight after work.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:42 am »
And it is much appreciated Steve,just need the point and line to hang in there so we can follow it, if I miss the mark.  :) :) which I have been known to do. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:31:19 am »
If the foreshaft and head slip free from the shaft wouldn't the head and foreshaft act like a toggle like the Eskamos used on their harpoons.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 01:10:02 pm »
My thought also Pat ,but I ain't a gator hunter , so I 'll leave to them that are !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 01:19:53 pm »
Me neither Guy. A few years ago I was gonna build primitive stuff for alligator gar hunting and the toggle head was the way I was going. Trying to find a primitive string that could withstand alligator gar scales was the weak link in my set up.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 08:51:01 pm »
that was what i was shooting for Pat.i figured if you put the whole head in the gator,it would pivot because of where i placed the leader.you would have a nail on one side and broadhead on the other like the eskamos did when they stuck them seals.i can see what Eddie is saying though,if just the point and not the whole head and forshaft penatrated it would pull free.it does need barbs for insurence.i wouldn't want Mark to wound a gator and not get it to the boat.i will add barbs tomarrow.thank you for all your info guys.
Middletown,Ohio