Author Topic: Surf fishing?  (Read 5186 times)

Offline Marks

Surf fishing?
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:21:19 am »
Hey guys, I'm excited. Headed down the Florida this weekend thru Wednesday for a little vacation. I've always wanted to try it so this year I'm gonna do some surf fishing. I'm out of my element. My plan so far (coutesy of Google and Youtube and the bait shop guy)is to take one of my bass spinning combos and I bought a $34 "catfish rig" from a local bait shop. It is an oversized spinning reel with an 8' medium action rod with 50# braid and 30# wire leader. Beyond that I don't know what I want to do. I have some 8/0 circle hooks to go for sharks If I get brave. The guy at the baitshop said they just threw rooster tails and grubs and their bass rigs. I read that pompano should be biting on sandfleas or shrimp.

For you guys that have done it, what do you suggest for someone new to surf fishing?

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Surf fishing?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:45:11 am »
Florida has a lot of coast.  What part?  I've surf fished the central east coast
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 12:00:47 pm »
Like Tim said, what part. You can catch fish, different species all over the state. Down where I'm at it's snook, Reds, and trout are hot right now, with a few Tarpon around.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:31:55 pm »
Its Ft Walton Beach. Just down the road from Destin so up in the Panhandle.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:09:34 pm »
Yikes, ya I've never fished that area.  The guy at the bait shop should know.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:28:00 pm »
I live about 3 hours drive from the Alabama coast and am no expert, but have always enjoyed fishing off the beach when we make a trip to Gulf Shores.   Your catfish combo will catch fish.  Cut you a three foot long section of inch and a half PVC for a rod holder that you can stick down in the sand.   My experience has been that the wire leader and really heavy line isn't necessary for most species.   If you have tight lined for catfish, you can use the same type tactics in the surf.  Lady fish, blue runners, croaker, little sand sharks, and the catfish that live in the breakers are real easy to catch.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  I bet one of these real saltwater types will chime in and give you better advice in a bit.  Have fun.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marks

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 06:43:27 pm »
I live about 3 hours drive from the Alabama coast and am no expert, but have always enjoyed fishing off the beach when we make a trip to Gulf Shores.   Your catfish combo will catch fish.  Cut you a three foot long section of inch and a half PVC for a rod holder that you can stick down in the sand.   My experience has been that the wire leader and really heavy line isn't necessary for most species.   If you have tight lined for catfish, you can use the same type tactics in the surf.  Lady fish, blue runners, croaker, little sand sharks, and the catfish that live in the breakers are real easy to catch.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  I bet one of these real saltwater types will chime in and give you better advice in a bit.  Have fun.

Yeah I realize I'm over geared for most of it on the wire leaders and 50# braid. If I have a hankering I may get some bigger bait and go for bigguns at night.
Would the small sand sharks not cut through the 50# braid???

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »
You'll want to use wire for sharks. 

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 08:51:45 pm »
The little bitty ones in the breakers up to a couple feet long, a heavy monofilament leader will do.  The big bull sharks get a hold of it, you will need all the help you can get.  A big piece of bloody cut bait will get them,  especially at night.  Shark fishing seems to alarm the hell out of the swimmers and sunbathers....  I think they would rather stay in that state of denial, where there is nothing out there in that water that will EAT THEM.    Bass tackle will handle more than you think.  You need the longer rod with the spinning outfit to get your baits out further though.  All this fishing talk is going to get me headed south!! :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marks

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:37 pm »
The little bitty ones in the breakers up to a couple feet long, a heavy monofilament leader will do.  The big bull sharks get a hold of it, you will need all the help you can get.  A big piece of bloody cut bait will get them,  especially at night.  Shark fishing seems to alarm the hell out of the swimmers and sunbathers....  I think they would rather stay in that state of denial, where there is nothing out there in that water that will EAT THEM.    Bass tackle will handle more than you think.  You need the longer rod with the spinning outfit to get your baits out further though.  All this fishing talk is going to get me headed south!! :)

I could use company. Come on.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:46:11 pm »
Ft Walton is about 20 miles from me. All you need is hook,weight. Wire leaders not necessary,Catch a hard head catfish or eel and you will see why,,Use fresh dead shrimp or cut mullet. Fish just on the bottom. Sand fleas will work you can dig them in the surf or get them at the bait shop. Have fun and watch out for these thunderstorms we've been having!.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 08:24:31 pm »
I've caught somewhere around 25 sharks this year so far, been a really good year and It's only July! only been out a few times also. You should get into some smaller ones just fine with a bass rig.  for Blacktips, you will need some wire leader though. bonnetheads and sharpnose are usually ok on heavy mono if you change leader after a catch, but Blacktips and other  more toothy sharks will cut mono and braid line in a second.  I like a 6/0 circle hook especially if you are using a smaller rod and cant catch the big boys from shore with 100y of line anyways.  A lot of people like ladyfish, jack or other bloody fish, but I have the best luck on a fillet of pinfish with a little squid on the hook as well.  But be willing to try different baits because sharks can actually be finicky.  My friend and I went out last Monday, he fished with jack, I fished with pinfish, I caught 8 that day, he caught 2.  Only difference was our bait choice.  I typically fish from the canoe or my row boat.  We would have Blacktip circle the boat 2-3 times, bump his bait, swim away and pick mine up and run, so be willing to try different things.  bring another spool of line with you too.  If you get one 6ft or so or a 50# stingray, you can likely hold onto your rod and say goodbye to your line. I've been peeled dry a couple times when I am insisting on fishing with my trout rods for smaller sharks and inadvertently had a big one pick up the bait.   have fun though, it's a blast!  especially if you get into the spinners, they are very acrobatic.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 01:11:21 pm »
Well the trip turned out pretty fun. I stopped by a bait shop and the guy suggested I use shrimp and all he had was frozen so I got some. All I caught was hard head catfish. I caught 8. I really didn't have a whole lot of time to concentrate on trying different baits and locations. The water was very murky too. My biggest problem was keeping the thawing shrimp on the hook. Next year I may try fish for bait. One day I could see HUGE schools of baitfish getting pounded by other fish just outside the breakers. Unfortunately I only had about 30 minutes to fish before we had to get ready to be somewhere. By then my shrimp was mushy and I had left my bass rod in the room with my tackle box. I think I could have caught some with my topwater baits if I had them. Live and learn. The little kids walking by loved seeing the catfish. I had a good time and will do it again next year.

On Tuesday we took a charter boat on a 4 hours inshore trip. It was a blast. We caught some big redfish. My wife was able to bring in a 45# redfish. Took 10 minutes to land. Even the guide wanted his picture taken with it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 01:25:00 pm »
I use a Duty's baiting needle to keep fresh frozen shrimp on the hook. I thread the line through the length of the shrimp and the hook comes out at its tail facing the back. It stays put quite well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 01:38:41 pm »
When I use shrimp for sturgeon, I wrap elastic thread around it to keep it on the hook. but presentation isn't goal #1 with sturgeon.  Good Luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,