Author Topic: Anybody else in 4-H?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Anybody else in 4-H?
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:36:34 am »
I was wondering how many people participate in the 4-H program?  Our fair is taking place this week.  Its been a hot one, mid 90's every day.  That makes it rough on the animals and the kids.  My wife is unable to help with anything due to a recent surgery so I have been running ragged trying to get everything done.  Besides the heat we have had a great week.  My niece won the fair queen contest, my daughter won grand champion meat pen rabbits as well as single fryer, and my little niece caught a greased pig like a seasoned pro.  She didn't even get muddy except for her shoes.  We have had low points also.  My son's goat got last in his class, our new buck rabbit that we kept for breeding has a genital defect  :o  so he is useless, and the cat show was a disaster.  Our cat didn't like the judge and hissed every time she went to touch him.  Then in the showmanship class he started getting rowdy and my daughter gave him a little smack on the butt which is not good.  He responded by swiping her across the face.  And that is how our first and last cat show ended.  Tonight I spent 2.5 hours standing over a deep fryer volunteering in the concession stand  :P  The livestock auction will wrap up the week on Saturday evening.  We are supposed to have storms all day.  I hope that doesn't discourage any of the buyers from showing up.  The kids are looking forward to selling their animals.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

Re: Anybody else in 4-H?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:47:22 am »
Yep, my family is pretty heavy into it.  Next week is fair week for us and my wife has been running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get the kids to get all the projects ready.  I'm an instructor for our districts shooting sports and have been for years. Luckily we got that all finished up in May.  If I make it home and I should, I get to supervise the cooking projects this weekend.   Which means I'm gonna get yelled at a lot for sampling  the dishes ( mostly the cookie dough)   Mmmmmmm !  Mmmmmmm!  I do love me some cookie dough!  Josh

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16:21 am »
Good luck Clint and Josh.  I've never been or had any close family in the 4--H.  But I was the photographer for them for several years.  It was a lot of fun.  I watched a calf drag a little guy around the ring.  That little guy was not going to let go of the rope. He had the heels of boots dug in the dirt.  A grown-up stepped in to lend a hand.  The little guy walk over and smacked the snot out of that calf.  It behaved better from then on.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:32:09 pm »
2.5 hrs seems like a long time to fry a cat , but at least you know you are done with it for sure now !

I did 4H as a kid but my kids did not , to much ball and boy scouts I guess !
I have a granddaughter that is in 4H does sewing so we may be getting back into it now !!!
Take care and keep up the good work , they only get one chance at being a kid !!
The time we get with our children passes way to fast !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:12:54 pm »
My family is in it. My wife did the ten year thing. My kids do sewing, gift wrapping, cake decorating, consumer fashion, chickens, horses, woodworking (Osage self bow this year), toy farm scenery, and finally dog obediance. I know the stress involved and had to do most of with my wife out of town. The kids really enjoy it. Next year I'm gonna enter a flint knapped point in the recycle division and use a glass bottle. Lot of work and I feel for you Clint! No state fair entries this year:(.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:00:31 am »
Jeez Buckeye, cat fry.... still wiping the tears away from my eyes from laughing at that. :laugh:
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.