Author Topic: an osage for Dad  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Gaur

an osage for Dad
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:52:49 pm »
Well this was one of the options for my tradebow but it came out too light after I worked too quickly and thinned the top too much.  I was pretty disappointed when it happened as it was such a nice billet set with a really good ratio in the rings.  But my Dad's birthday was the end of June and I had been wanting to make him a bow so it turned out to be a good one for him at 40# @ 28".  He's a lefty.  Gave it to him yesterday at a family gathering for birthdays and my daughter graduation reception

Here is where the tiller ended up.  I think it was 62" ntn.  Forgot to double check that.  Reticulated python skins from a snake that was eating one of our workers chickens at the tilapia hatchery in Chiang Mai, Thailand.  Tips are albino buffalo horn.  Sorry I didn't take more pictures.  Was a crazy last 2 weeks.

Now to get my trade bow finished up.  Have the yew bow braced and starting to pull.  Had my dad bring me another set of osage billets that were up at the cabin,  just in case I have a major failure on the yew bow.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline TRACY

Re: an osage for Dad
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:57:53 pm »
Nice bow for dad! Very nice work.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:13:59 pm »
Nice bow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »
Nice bow Randy! I assume your back in the states now?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:38:10 pm »
Thanks Chris and others.  Yes made it back 2 weeks ago and have been real busy getting our house in shape.  Happy to find a work bench and small bench vice in the garage so I have a space to build some bows

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:52:05 pm »
Very nice indeed. Retic skins are one of my favorites too.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:16:40 am »
Nice job,I know he will like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:10:15 am »
Ole Dad looks pretty happy with that one!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gaur

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:42:28 am »
Thank guys,

Yeah I bet he has the bow out at the local coffee shop today showing it off to all the guys.  I'm guessing the story of the python skin has grown a bit since I told it too. 

I'm going to put some of his old Bear Greenies on some wood arrows for him and hopefully he'll get a shot at a deer this fall with it.    I know it has some zip to it.  I was shooting it a bit off my hand and I choose a wood shaft that maybe wasn't spined right and it kicked off to the left missing my little vitals foam target and went through a mineral spirits can and a cupboard door ::)