Author Topic: Cattail Arrow Shafting?  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Greebe

Cattail Arrow Shafting?
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:20:49 am »
Has anyone made arrow shafts from cattail?  The reason I ask is because I have not been able to find river cane growing around where I live, but there are plenty of good sized cattail.  Seems like if the stalks were dried that it could be a suitable shafting material.  They are nice and straight right off of the plant and they are about the right diameter.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Greebe

Offline Joec123able

Re: Cattail Arrow Shafting?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:16:22 am »
I don't know I've heard of it used but to me it seems way to weak to make a good arrow shaft
I like osage

Offline Scottski

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:10 pm »
I have heard of people making arrows with cattails. They say cut them in the the winter time. Never got around to making any yet.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Greebe

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:44:02 pm »
Thanks.  I guess I will have to go cut some cattails and see how they work.  Last year I cut a few just to see how they would dry out.  I am not sure where they went but it seemed like they were nice material.  The probably would be more fragile than other materials, but it is what I have available at the moment.  I would like to find some river cane, but no luck so far.

Thanks,
Greebe

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »
They can be woven into quivers.  Probabl a better use.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 03:10:43 pm »
I cut some shafts from cattail last winter. I think I got to them too late as they seemed to be decaying already. Want to try to cut some this fall. Good Luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:14:18 am »
  I took a primitive survile class many years ago. We were given a osiden hand ax and told to make a bow. A guy, boy that  kind a made friends with me. Made arrows from cat tails I did the same.
  He said they don't last but can made a good qiuck fix I did the same. There was no winners but we finished first and 9 th he had only made one bow so far and was slow. But his arrow idea was spot on. Since then I've tryed cats tail again and it might be good for a quick fix but not a arrow shaft materal.
  I read one time that indains along the southern coastal areas rapped sinew around then to help hold them together. I've never tryed this but sounds like it would work.
  You say you don't have cain or boo around you. I'm sure there's other shoot woods around you. Once you start looking you'll be surprized at all thats around you that will work as shaft materal.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 03:31:53 pm »
Small young trees are much better for arrows !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »

Like Crooketarrow, said, it would be ok for an emergency situation, but the bow would have to be low weight, I would think, and yes wrap the nock, and point notch well.  Like C A also said, there must be some shoots around you.  The winter is the best time to look, as the leaves, are off most of them, and you can get a good look at them.  Also, tomato stakes, (bamboo), dowels, Spruce, Fir, etc. 2 X 4's, cut down to size, I think 3/4 by 3/4 square, and just keep planing off the corners, till you have a mostly round shaft, then just sand till it is round, and smooth and then straighten, and seal. ;)  Then try to match the weight of the shafts, and spine weight as close as you can. :)  But I would think Cattail shafts would not be worth the trouble, unless it was a quick need, and then I doubt it would hold up to much shooting, especially from a bow above 40lbs. or so.  Even if that.  But would suffice for survival for rabbits, and such.  Just my own humble opinion.  I could be wrong.  And that would not be the first for me. ;) ;D  But do try it, and let us know how they turn out.  But be sure to wrap at least an inch or so from the nock notch, and the same from the point notch.

Wayne

Offline Greebe

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:29:52 pm »
Thanks guys.  Sound like the cattail thing may not be the best option.  Went out into the woods today and set up a primitive camp.  Looked around but didn't find too much of anything other than pine and rhododendron.  I will keep looking for suitable materials.  In the mean time I found a neat little dowel maker that I might make and turn some arrow shafts out of pine.

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 02:01:00 am »
i made one, but it wasn't accurate in wind. It was easy to make, it flew high then just floated there before coming down. it shot super fast for twenty feet then slowed down.
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »
Where do you live Greebe? That will help us determine what arrow making materials are in your area.
  Crooket, The coastal areas of the SE US have lots of arrow making materials so I don't see using cattail shoots wrapped with sinew as shafting with all the other stuff around.  I could be wrong.
  It only takes one good shot to kill a deer so I guess cat tail shafting is possible but I don't think it is a practical practice. I've made arrows from horseweed and goldenrod but they are not very durable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC