Author Topic: yellow popolar  (Read 3581 times)

shootinbud

yellow popolar
« on: November 23, 2007, 02:04:30 pm »
i have recently been given a  stave of yellow poplar is this a good wood for self bow making

Offline Badger

Re: yellow popolar
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 02:17:48 pm »
Bud, yellow poplar really isnt considered bow wood, but I have mad a ton of bows from it. It will chrysal and blow unexpextedly sometimes. A few months agao i went to see where one would blow and at 36" my pulley ran out of space. The bow took so much set at that point for all intents and purposes you would have to say it was broke. I would say fun to work with and can make some very fast bows but be warned that it can ands does often just explode. Steve

shootinbud

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 02:36:29 pm »
Thanks Steve i am  new to all of this so you can bet i wont be starting with that piece thanks 4 the advice

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:21:10 pm »
I wish poplar would make good bow wood . My land is pached full of it. From small ones to giant ones. Wish it was all hickory or something a little more stronger.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 08:07:45 pm »
Makes good arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 08:12:29 pm »
Yes I know. I am planning on an expedition here real soon. gonna get me a big pile of poplar and sourwood.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!