Author Topic: Ash lumber for bow  (Read 1849 times)

Offline dave young

Ash lumber for bow
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:28:16 am »
I have only made a half dozen bows, all using hickory lumber. I saw an add for good clean ash lumber the other day, a wanted to know how it is for a bow and compared to hickory?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Ash lumber for bow
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:41:57 am »
never tried hickory... but i know its stiff and good in tension...
Ash- i have tried it, and am working some now. go for it.... but i though Ash was weaker in tension compared to hickory...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 11:39:58 am »
I found ash very easy to work with. I made this English longbow out of 3x3 lumber. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34764.0.html It had nice rings and I was able to chase a ring like a stave. I trapped it to take some of the pressure off the back.

I'm working on another 3x3 post and hoping to hit closer to 60#.

Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 02:46:26 pm »
I love ash and have had very good luck with it in board bows & staves. My fastest bow that i made was an ash edge grain board bow(Ferrets plans). The flatter the belly the better. IMO... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....