Author Topic: Re: hollow limb buildalong, session 7 (The End) added  (Read 45111 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: hollow limb buildalong, session 4 + 5 added
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 10:31:34 pm »
WOW truly impressed  ;D. Can't wait to see the progression.

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 11:01:31 pm »
Nice fix! I would say overlays since its a take down. And thanks for all the time you are spending on this thread. I know how time consuming it must be to take, edit and post all the pictures. GREAT JOB!
Always learning something new.

Offline dbb

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 07:43:17 am »
Way to go!
To make that disaster into an advantage...impressive serious skills at display here!!

By the way, my favourite of all your bows so far is the 80# osage recurve with triangular tips you posted last december i think.
That one still makes me drool  :-[
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 08:04:39 am »
As in bow making so it is in life.
It's how we deal with adversity that makes us the people we are.
Great save.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 08:43:56 am »
This build along is blowing me away!  Incredible workmanship. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline randman

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2013, 03:00:58 pm »
Nice save Simon. I have been in awe of your hollow limb bows since I first laid eyes on the whiskey flask one (or was that brandy?  ;D). I like your explanation of the tension and compression forces on the hollow part. I also like to think of it as you would a stone arch. The Romans (maybe even pre-Romans) found out long ago that a curved span was a lot stronger (in compression) that a flat one. Which also makes me ponder: If there is compression on the belly side of the arch and the tension forces are the strongest at the backside crown, would there not also be slight compression forces on the BACK side of the outer edges coming back around as the curve flattens out? Sort of how a keystone in an arch resists compression on it's sides and keeps the arch together?.............just thinking..maybe no correlation at all just trying to throw that into the conversation.......... 
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 03:51:34 pm »
Thanks for sharing your techniques!  It is fun to watch your progress and learn from your approach.  I would have broken that piece of wood somewhere during session 1 :)  Can't wait to see the next session.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2013, 07:49:41 am »
wow! that is looking sweet. i love the transition of the fades into the limbs. would this design work with yew? if so i may give it a try.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2013, 11:22:41 am »
WOW. Just amazing.  Thanks for taking the time to share. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 11:23:12 pm »
Looking good Simon. Way to go on that handle fix, thats a solution I never would have thought of. Also like how you managed to blend in the added handle wood for a smooth transition, a lot of impressive work going on in this build along. I have to say thats one tough stave you chose for this project. Can't wait for the next installment, were rooting for ya man. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline steve b.

Re: Re: hollow limb buildalong, session 4 + 5 added
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 12:29:35 am »
Nice work.  A brave attempt and the best way to become great at bow making.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »

All:
Sorry for the late response.
Currently I'm working on my new shop, really lots of work to do. Therefore I cannot be here every day, but I will do my best to make not to big pauses.

Thanks again fellas for your nice complements, but you should definitely wait until this thing becomes a bow (still not sure it does).

Mad Max:
Yes come on, let me see your HLD bow. I believe this design has a great potential.

Weylin:
Have you got my message? I'm not sure if it worked …

Christian Soldier:
this is from what the sleeve is made of. It's a tool called 'dritte Hand' (in German which means translated word by word 'a third hand' don't know if the title contra choc is the English word or just a phantasy product.

The two pipes fit perfectly

This tool is used to install things like boards or plywood to a ceiling. I have two of that and both are junk, because the d......d plastic grip broke of. Now they are laying in the box for metal trash and are waiting for a new birth as t/d sleeve.

dbb:
Nice you remember that bow, It is still one of my favorites too!

Del:
Thanks bro!

randman:
Good points! I believe there is many we can discover in HLD bows. I'm waiting on your examples. Thanks for your input!

BowSlayer:
I see no reason why not, esp. golden chain tree behaves very similar to yew. Give it a try!

Badly Bent:
Thanks for your nice comment and yes this is not the best stave, as said I took it out of my firewood ...

steve b.:
oh, it's really not my motivation to get a place in the bowyers hall of fame. I have learned all I know about selfbows on PA and PP and out of books. I simply want to give a bit back …. and a few guys requested that buildalong. But thank you!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline simson

Re: hollow limb buildalong, session 6 (tips) added
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2013, 06:12:07 pm »
Session 6: Tips

Some guys requested some time ago a buildalong horn insert (wedge) tips. So let’s do it here!

We need two matching wedges, I have a bunch of them prepared from brown black and colored horn. First make two rectangular pieces of the desired thickness (about 3mm is ok).

Next sand down to a wedge, tapering to zero on one end

I use a handy belt sander for this job. Use little wood boards to press the horn down, otherwise you sand your fingers flat (I made this experience!).
Be sure the pieces are matching.

Now the slot in the tip:

Camp the bow in the vice and mark vertically where to cut and horizontally how far to cut, be sure both tips were matching.

Cut the slots in the tip ends, I use a sharp Japanese hacksaw.

this how it looks after the first cut – now comes the tricky part:
clamp the tip end with a plastic clamp and saw again just in the same slot as you did the first time

The cut should go exact to the end of the slot. Now pull out the saw blade and the clamp closes the slot. Repeat the procedure, next use a second clamp:

and voila'  here is the result like a miracle we have a v-slot in the tips, exactly were we want it

The horn wedges should slip in with little pressure, you could use the wife's nail file to get the surface even (when needed)

Before glueing try a dry run, here is how it should look like:

Now glue in the wedges, I have used super glue, TB3 and Epoxi successfully.

For now I go with epoxi. I wet all surfaces – the slot and the wedge
Wait til the glue gets a bit sticky, to prevent squeezing out when clamping.

I use office metal clamps, I like them for little glue-ups.

After the glue has cured:

Cut off excess, sand down to the limbs surface.

After sanding:

And more sanding:

from the side:

I will go for sinew wrapped tips (sorry ssgtchad), therefore I have sanded the tips more roundish.

Wetting sinew and strips of rawhide:

Taping the tips and applying hide glue:

This is what I will do, forming a rucksack using raw hide and hide glue:

The first round sinew wrap:

Fold back the strip, second sinew wrap, cut off excess strip:

When the glue isn't sticky, wrap the complete tip with rubber textile to press the sinew in place. (sorry forgot the pic)

The day after the sinew has a bit dried out, after a first sanding it looks like this:

Now we have to wait a few days for complete curing.

Next I will try to string that thing.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline dbb

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2013, 06:25:03 pm »
Thanks for the "how to" on the tips,way cool!
Will try that on the next suitable bow
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: hollow limb buildalong, session 6 (tips) added
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 07:07:32 pm »
Looking great Simon.   :)