Author Topic: Does cold effect workability of wood?  (Read 8613 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Does cold effect workability of wood?
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:14:15 am »
As the topic says "does cold effect the workability of wood" It recently dropped to around 20 degress here the other day and I was in the garage ( no heat) and was working on my first bow (hickory backed cherry) and it seemed like the spoke shave ( freshly sharpened) and the rasp were jumpin across the wood and not getting very good bite, so I was wondering if due to the fact the wood bends better when its warmer could the opposite be said when its cold in relation to how it responds to the knife? Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Does cold effect workability of wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:41:43 am »
My bows become stiffer in the cold. I do think that the wood  would (a poor man's alliteration) become harder to work too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 01:12:58 pm »
I think then that I shall "shang hi"  the spare bedroom and turn it into my temp winter quarters for my bow making. I'll just have to make sure it stays tidy or I might get a spankin. On the other hand that might be a good thing....lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 01:41:02 pm »
Most homes are way dryer in the winter than in the summer...although, I guess ac has changed that a bit.  I do most of my bow building from now til spring. We heat with a wood stove so our house in very dry. While working on bows, I stand them behind the wood stove between sessions. By the time the bow is finished, it is quite dry. Lots of exercising is necessary while building the bow to keep the wood more flexible and ease tension and compression stresses.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:46:39 pm »
Good point. I don't have the wood heat but was thinking on doing a hotbox anyway. may give me a good reason to get on it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »
My hot box gets turned on as soon as the boiler goes on in the fall. I lay the stave on top f the radiator or next to it. Works really well. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Bishop

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 03:26:01 pm »
the Temp has really dropped here in Kansas the last few days and like Danny i dont have a heated "outdoor" workspace, so i spread out a old sheet and was working on the handle of my first bow while sitting in the living room watching football... ;D...i got the strangest look from my wife when she got home from work but she didnt say anything, i guess she is getting used to me doing odd things. (like stopping the car and getting out to look at any downed tree i see or slowing down to try and identify a good looking straight one)

Bishop

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 03:32:15 pm »
Bish, that is so funny. I started doing the same thing when I got started a few months ago. Fletching arrows in the front room on the coffee table or putting my true oil finish on my Osage sidewinder. lol. As Gunny Highway said in Heartbreak Ridge..."adapt and over come ladies" By the way, you being a homeboy and all here in the KansasTerritory; anything you need just holler. Danny

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 05:10:17 pm »
   Danny,I think the cold has alot to do with how much moisture is in the wood.Also when it drops down in the 40's here,I'm shaking so hard my drawknife chatter's across the wood,too.And then again,living between the Gulf of Mexico and The Atlantic Ocean,I wonder if the tides have any effect on the wood here? ??? ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 06:07:23 pm »
Well, considering that the moon has the effect on the tides due to magnetic pull I would say that moisture evaporation rate could be effected by the pressure variations in the moons cycle. Notice I said could be.... But I would think where the temp is concerned wet wood would dry out slower when its cold than when its warm.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 08:02:56 pm »
 :) :D ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 08:05:25 pm »
   Danny,I think the cold has alot to do with how much moisture is in the wood.Also when it drops down in the 40's here,I'm shaking so hard my drawknife chatter's across the wood,too.And then again,living between the Gulf of Mexico and The Atlantic Ocean,I wonder if the tides have any effect on the wood here? ??? ::)
Hmm ask Richarrd Longbow , he would know ! ;D ;D ;D ;D......................bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:40:44 am »
Good one bob, eddie I think the tide would effect the bow if ya soak it in a tidal pool ;)
40's cold I don't get it ??? ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

a finnish native

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 11:08:51 am »
I have shot in -40 cenbtigrade and I noticed no difference in the performance of the bow. although one can not shoot for long in those kinda temps. it feels like your fingers would drop off. that is before you cant feel them  :D

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 05:53:41 pm »
I have noticed a little difference in the wood as the temp drops. The last on I just fiinished was a bit stiffer and wood seemed harder.
As far as working indoors, I have not yet fully converted our spare bedroom to my workshop. I do all but the Knapping and bow making indoors. I am looking for something to cover the carpet in that room so I can work inside during the winter. I have no place outside the house yet to work on bows. If I am outside I am at the will of the elements. I do enjoy working outside.
                                                        T.J.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!