Author Topic: Short bow ?  (Read 4489 times)

Offline PeteC

Short bow ?
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:52:36 pm »
I know there are quite a few out there who regularly build short bows.I usually build mine between 64"-68",and have a question I'd appreciate some help with.I have a bow I started tillering yesterday.It is 56" tip to tip,54" nock to nock.I have it tillered to 19"@ 55#.It is osage,a little character,but the string is generally tracking center.It is 1 1/4" at fades tapering to 1/2".The top limb is about 25",bottom 24",with a short,non-bending handle section.My questions are: Can this bow be tillered to 27",and if you think so,with or without backing.Also,would heat treating the belly be a good idea? Should I aim for a lower target weight?         Thanks, and God Bless   Pete C   
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Short bow ?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 05:03:28 pm »
   Pete.It can be done.I'm doing the same thing right now with a challenging piece of Osage.Just keep tillering it and don't pull over your target weight.Keep checking the draw length and weight quite often.I wouldn't heat treat it till you see what you end up with.I have brought the weight up and tightened up a weak limb with heat.I think you would have been better off putting the longer limb on top ,but it depends on where you are measuring from.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 05:52:06 pm »
The longer limb is on top Mullet,and I like your advice.I'll hold off on tempering if it continues to look good.I started with 3" reflex and have lost about half of that,which seems to be about average.Good luck on your shorty as well.Thanks,and God Bless,  PeteC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 06:57:15 pm »
I've got one going right now, osage, 53" ntn,  6" rigid handle.  but I'm going to sinew it and pull it to 27".  Good luck with yours, sounds great.

Dave

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:00:57 pm »
  Hey Pete,Wasn't reading what I was looking at,Duh. :D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 08:11:41 pm »
I woul back it with sinew. Otherwise when drawing a bow that short to 27" you will end up with allot of string follow. If you do not want to do sinew the I would sugest that you make it a bend through the handel bow so that you get the entire bow working. This will spred out the stress and minimize string follow. Stiff handels and short bows do not mix real well. This can be made better with sinew in either a bend in the handel r a stiff handel. 54" is short. Osage can take the strain no trouble but it will still most likley follow the string allot. This in itself is not a bad thing but you will loose some performance.

You should post a pic of of your current tiller. That will better help us all judge how far the bow can be tillered out. How the limbs bend on thee shorties is essintial to getting them far back.

SJM

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 10:38:48 pm »
  Even after what yew archer said which is very good advice.I'd still keep playing with it till you see what you have.You might have to eventually make it a bend in the handle,or reflex it.But you will not know till you try.All osage isn't the same.Marvin Gerrish made a 1" at the handle,53" N to N bend in the handle that will pull 30", unbacked.That's kinda extreme  ???
Lakeland, Florida

Offline RT

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 08:11:07 am »
pete, check out this threat, this guy has shown us that even with a 51" it can be tillered out to 27" with his design..........impressive!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,157.0.html
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 08:33:05 am »
pete, check out this threat, this guy has shown us that even with a 51" it can be tillered out to 27" with his design..........impressive!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,157.0.html

That's a backed bow

This Osage selfbow I made several years ago is 56" long and pulls 64# @ 28"

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 09:18:12 am »
Do a search for this thread, "Me Irish bow for St.Paddys day"   Ryano has a nice little 50" self bow tillered out to 27"
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 01:00:43 pm »
Thank you all for the good advice.I'm going to continue tillering ,at least a few more inches,and if it needs it,I'll reduce the handle down to bend through.This stave came from a log cut last Feb.,and was roughed out and put on the form the middle of june,which gives it about 5 months at near bow dimensions.I've built 4  other bows,out of this same wood,ranging from 66"-68",which all turned out well,with very little set.These were the first "green wood" bows,Of osage,that I've attempted,thanks to several of the experts that frequent this site.Again thanks for responding to my questions.        God Bless,,,    PeteC