Author Topic: Mary Rose replica  (Read 8039 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Mary Rose replica
« on: November 24, 2007, 08:41:32 pm »
Just finished my Mary Rose bow tonight. It's 79" ntn, and has a cross section of 41x36mm at the grip.
At 32" it is drawing 115#. It has of course got sidenocks, with extra notches for a stringer.
It had 1,2" natural stringfollow, and has followed the string 2,4" now.

I got it from a local park (with permission ;)) and it has been growing very fast, plus the stave was only thick enough to make a two-split. So it has very little heartwood,
It's been drying for two and a half year.

On the picture where it is on the tiller, it is drawn to 27". And I see that it turned around between the brace- and "full"-draw. Sorry about that.

The other to-be bow is going to be a 77" 70# Nydam-inspired longbow.

Offline DanaM

Re: Mary Rose replica
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:42:43 am »
Shes a beauty, like the character in her.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 01:25:41 pm »
Very nice. I also love the character. I guess working through the horn at the string grove won't effect the durability of the bow being that it is encapsulated...just more character. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 04:15:37 pm »
Nope :) It doesn't seem to be a weak point, which really isn't all that surpricing, since it seems that all the medieval bows on the ship Mary Rose had these kinds of nocks. They must have been pretty well tested :)

But they do need a selftightening loop.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 03:03:00 am »

really nice bow, like the character in it, too!
frank
Frank from Germany...