Author Topic: Goodies I saw in Washington, DC.  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Goodies I saw in Washington, DC.
« on: November 25, 2007, 01:50:04 pm »
 Here are a few pics of what I saw in DC. I was disappointed that there wasn't more archery related items on display. Apparently, if you plan ahead and make arrangements with the proper folks, there is lots of stuff stashed away in the back room.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Goodies I saw in Washington, DC.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:53:22 pm »
...a few more

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 01:55:34 pm »
...and finally...

brian melton

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 02:32:15 pm »
Pat,

In the picture taken at 12:04 (the time) center group of broadheads there are some deeply barbed points what tribe are they from........I was shocked to see identical points I make when I want a challenge.......I know there are only so many ways to make points, but when you run across a pic of a point you don't see that often...or in my case have never seen anyone make...it blew me away... :o By the way I am refering to the bottom row from left to right point 1 and 3.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 02:34:06 pm by brian melton »

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 02:32:46 pm »
Pat, I was wondering if you might have gone to D.C. for the hollidays. How is Merideth? Good I hope. You probably did't have enpugh time to do the Smithsonian justice. My Dad said you could spend weeks. I really like the buck skin jacket. As for the bows and quivers, I think that the reason the plains indians like the short bows was because they were so easy to stick in the quiver and take them where ever they went rather than they were so easy to handle from horseback.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 02:55:56 pm »
Brian, I didn't pay attention to where all were from. This particular display was in the Natural History Museum and represented points of all ages from all over the world. You might be able to access these points and info at goSmithsonian.com and reference Natural History Museum.
  Kenneth, Meredith is doing great. She will soon be moving to San Diego so we are happy we got to go see DC before she left. I liked the buck skin also. There were others but this one I liked best. They had a whole room filled with buck skin dresses with all sorts of bead and quill work as well as other decorations like elk ivory.
Yes, I could have spent a week in the Mall area of DC where all of these museums were located.   Pat

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:45:37 am »
I've been there. Such a fine collections of artifacts; I loved it.
I wonder how they drilled those thick and deep holes though.

(probably with a drill pfff) anyone got any ideas?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 12:13:55 pm »
BB, don't know about the European stuff, but a good many of NA artifacts were apparantly drilled with a piece of cane and abrasive grit, using the hollow cane as a hand drill. I've seen a couple "cores" from this process that were found around here.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.