Author Topic: A few bows, etc, from our Washington, DC trip.  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
A few bows, etc, from our Washington, DC trip.
« on: November 25, 2007, 02:09:23 pm »
These are some of the few bows on display in the National Museum of American Indians in DC and at the Notural History Museum. Not too many to look at...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: A few bows, etc, from our Washington, DC trip.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 02:11:21 pm »
Cool! Thanks for sharing.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 02:14:45 pm »
and a few other items...   I had to throw Cupid in there with his bow! ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:44:40 pm »
I wonder if these are really old bows or turn of the century bows. Any way they seem to ne nicely made. The Mesa Verde musem only has one bow on display. I guess our bunch could make them up some replica bows, a lot better than none for the people to look at. Of course not even one out of 100 would apreciate them for what they are. Thanks also for shareing.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 04:20:57 pm »
One odd thing there at the National Museum of American Indians was the full wall display of guns that were used against the NA. Guns of all size and description dating from the 1500s to the early 20th century. Probably 100 or more. When I asked about bows they said they had lots of bows and arrows cataloged and stored. With some communication ahead of time maybe you get a personal showing.
   Pat

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 08:04:22 pm »
Well I guess we know where the bow fits in.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Beleg813

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 08:17:12 pm »
Hey Pat, thanks for sharing! Those are very cool. I was just curious though, is that angel pulling the wood from that log St. Sebastian (the patron saint for archers) ?

thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 08:18:27 pm »
That is Cupid      Pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 09:05:45 am »
Is that one case replicas of Oetzi's equipment? Seems odd for him to be iin the American Indian museum.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 10:38:45 am »
Steve, That was in the Natural History Museum. It is replications of his stuff. The adz looks like it was wrapped with tanned leather, though.  ???     Pat

Offline mamba

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 08:47:31 pm »
I like that Lakota quiver - thats a museum I wouldn't mind visiting.
Ray/NY

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 07:48:48 pm »
I would love to see that stuff. I would get all glassy eyed and drool a bunch. Probably get kicked out . I would leave there with a head full of ideas.
                       Thanks to you Pat.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 12:05:41 am »
TJ, you ought to go. The kids would love it and its all free to look at. ;D  There wasn't enough archery stuff on exhibit but all the other stuff is way cool. Those baskets in the pic are made with river cane splits. The Cherokees made beautiful, intricate river cane basketry. I've been thinking about trying a quiver with river cane splits. 8)  I hope I get around to the production stage!  ::) ;D     Pat

Beleg813

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:27 pm »
Very cool exhibits indeed. Hey Pat, did you happen to see any blowguns? As far as my limited knowledge tells me, blowguns were pretty popular with Native Americans in the South (Choctaw and Cherokee).