Author Topic: Matched set of six primitive arrows...(way too many pics)  (Read 9757 times)

Offline seminolewind

Matched set of six primitive arrows...(way too many pics)
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:57:39 pm »
These arrows are 32" in length Apache style although made from bamboo. They are heat straightened with the nodes sanded down. I knapped all the stone points myself from different types of stone. They are hafted with the pitch from Southern Yellow Pine mixed with bees wax and ashes, and wrapped with sinew from a whitetail deer. The fletchings are  Osceola turkey tail feathers tied on with back strap sinew. For the cresting I used a water based natural pigment watercolor that I toned down to give a more authentic look. Nocks are all cut just behind a node for strength. The only non authentic portion of these arrows is the coating of Tru-Oil I sealed them with. I did however rub them down with steel wool to take the shine away. Hope you all enjoy the pics there's a lot of them....but if you're like me you don't mind seein them !
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:15:28 pm by seminolewind »
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

Re: Matched set of six primitive arrows...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »
another view...
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:01:45 pm »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:02 pm »
I ground these feathers on my bench belt sander after splitting them. It makes the transition off the shaft much better.

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:05:37 pm »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 05:07:40 pm »
The pine pitch not only adds strength but makes the transition from point to shaft seamless, and allows for better penetration.

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:09:07 pm »
Flint River...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:14:43 pm by seminolewind »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 05:11:01 pm »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »
Although I'm not a huge fan of knapping coral it sure makes a beautiful hafted point !

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 05:14:56 pm »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

Re: Matched set of six primitive arrows...(way too many pics)
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »
Osceola turkey tail feathers, all with the same spin direction.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:16:04 pm by seminolewind »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 05:20:02 pm »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:21:33 pm »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »
 That's a hell of a lot of work and art and talent dude. Really enjoyed you posting these. Everything looks good. I too hunt with stone tipped arrows and would be proud to carry those in my quiver. Nice...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 06:00:02 pm »
Nice man!  I really like to coral snake pattern.  Those are some venomous arrows you got!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!