Author Topic: Arrow exchange  (Read 10210 times)

Offline oldhippy

Arrow exchange
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:02:01 pm »
   Gents I have to admit that I pretty much suck at bow making. My bows are not pleasing to the eye like some of the bows that I have seen here. They shoot well and hold up but there is not one thing pretty on them. I would be embarrassed to send one to someone for the bow exchange, but I can make a damned good arrow. Still it isn't fancy with pretty colored feathers and cresting and coats of varnish. I like to build a functional arrow that was more NA style, cane, turkey secondary fletching, two fletch style, stone points set with pine pitch wrapped with sinew. I collect and process all that is used for these arrows except the feathers and I have different people give them to me.
 As some of you know it can take as long to make an arrow as it does to make a bow. For me I have at least eight hours in every one that I make. I have given dozens away a gifts and have never received an arrow from another soul :o.
  What I would like to know is, Would any of you be intrested in an arrow exchange. If so maybe we can do it like the bow exchange. What do ya all think?
   Hippy
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Arrow exchange
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:06:00 pm »
I think that is good idea.  I would participate in an arrow exchange similar to the bow exchange. 

Russ

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:08:23 pm »
I'll trade with you Hippy. Kinda like arrows better than bows myself..........Art B

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:16:02 pm »
Im in my friend.

Im fortunate to already have an arrow from you, Pat and Artsy. I treasure them. I never though to give you one of mine. They aren't pretty, but they fly nice.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:23:26 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:36:27 pm »
   Let's go for it then. I don't know how the bow exchange works but if it's possible let's get started.
   Hippy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:45:13 pm »
Steve start a new sign up thread and keep a list for say a week. Just have the guys put their addresses, preferred spine and length on the thread. After sign up closes you just write/type all those involved down and draw names.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:53:17 pm »
Would we be making one arrow, or a set of 6 or . . . . . 

unarmed or with field points, or BH, or knapped, or   . . . . .  Full length (32) or something shorter, as in, made to order.

I imagine some guys will have specifics and others will want full length. 

lots of choices - - to be left up to the fletcher? 

no matter what gets decided rules wise, I'm in.

Russ

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 01:59:13 pm »
I wouldn't qualify for this swap, but I think it's a great idea!
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:53 pm »
   Lets just do one arrow, length and style doesn't matter, just what you, yourself shoot. Me, I shoot a 32" that weighs in between 550 and 700 grains. Don't know if the person that recieves one from me will shoot that or not, that isn't the pointy. The point is just to exchange something that we all use as most of us are collectors in one way or another.
   Hippy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 02:20:29 pm »
Im in no matter the "rules". I enjoy making arrows, especially if its a gift.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:42:19 pm »
How about making it one of your personal hunting arrows. If you don't hunt, then send your best "shooter" ;D...........Art B

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 03:06:11 pm »
I'm in! Whatever you decide is good for me Steve. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »
  I say reach in the quiver and pull one out, that's what I do. Most of mine have been on at least two hunts and never been shot at anything but a bale of peat moss. Whoever I get one from it will never be shot, just something to collect from the family on PA.
   Hippy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 03:29:23 pm »
I will make a new one myself. I have nothing laying around but boring cedars. Id do up a shoot or cane shaft. Like Steve, I wont hunt with mine either. I have two shelves in the curio cabinet all to myself and this arrow would get added to my PA treasures.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 03:45:07 pm »
Jon a lot changes after you meet these guys in person and hang out. I wasn't a collector myself. I am now. The treasures I have from these guys is what I have until we meet again.