Author Topic: How fast can you make a survival bow, and with how little materials...  (Read 16179 times)

Offline sleek

Hello pvc....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bubby

Hello pvc....

Urban survival that is the ticket
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Hello pvc....
PVC?
Sorry, I just puked... :-[
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline CodyPost

I agree with what has allready been posted about using green wood saplings and boot laces for a bow, but I think the hardest part will be finding material to make usable arrows out of. It can be done but I think I would be concentrating on trapping and foraging to build up some stores of food before investing my time in building survival archery tackle. IMO
In the beginning God gave man two ends, one to sit on and one to think with. Ever since that moment mans success has been dependent upon the one he used most.

Offline H Rhodes

I live in a good spot for this sort of experiment -  fat fox squirrels that you can kill with a stick they are so slow, river cane in most of the creek bottoms for arrows, and dead standing osage for the bow.  Life is good. I have made a couple of bows with just a minimum of tools.  You can make one that works.  I completely agree with everyone's comments on priorities and survival though.  Bow making would be on down the line.  Just trying to stick to the original post. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowJunkie

I have to chime in on this one, because I speak from experience.
I spent a week at the lake, and not wanting to run to the grocery store for meat.  ;)
I found honey locust with some sweet looking saplings, less than 2'' across.
I Wacked several off and and began profiling with Obsidian.
after a few hours and some heat treating over a camp fire, I had a serviceable 45# @ roughly 28" draw.
This is a plausible and very effective option, even in a short term scenario.
You don't need a work of art to procure food, you just need to maintain three goals.
Form, Fit and Function
You would be surprised how many critters come into range while you are hacking out a quick bow around a camp fire.
But keep in mind, I did have bow string already made up. I always carry several Pre made Bow strings in my Bug Out Bag.
If you have not done this, then I urge you to Test your self, before the situation presents it's self.
Just my two cents
Johnny
in Texas

Offline sleek

Hello pvc....
PVC?
Sorry, I just puked... :-[
Del

Easy there buddy you might hack up a hair ball lol....
 Honestly though, for time and efficiency,  pvc can not be beat. In a SHTF scenario,  pvc will be available world wide in mass amounts. Not to mention water proof, unbreakable, easy of making.... pvc is king here.

Offline make-n-break

BowJunkie,

I agree. I also carry at least half a dozen pre-made bowstrings, different lengths, of B50 and 8190 in every bug out bag and hunting bag. There are several in the storage compartment of my truck incase I get stranded. I also keep a small carry box handy with a couple spools of different types of string and serving materials that I could snatch up in a hurry with the rest of my gear if I was at the house when the zombies come. They're so simple and cheap to make. I don't see any excuse why anyone concerned with a SHTF scenario wouldn't just whip up one or two dozen strings and distribute them amongst your other survival gear.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline fiddler49

Sleek, pvc will shatter in cold weather! It can't be used on compressor lines for that reason.

Offline sleek

Well, the more you know....  :-[

Offline Buckeye Guy

With everything else you have to do in the situation  it will take you about 2 -3 weeks  @ the few minutes  a day that you could possibly  have to work on it and that depends  heavily on how good you are at making or finding shelter and fire

That is why you do the green bow first to get you by till you can get the bow you ask about done
please be sure to do a good spear before you even do the green bow cause all the snares deadfalls and other goodies will do absolutely nothing  toward keeping you from being eaten !
have fun and keep your topnot on !

forgot the part about tools everything you need is out there but you best start practicing  now !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Ed Brooks

Toomanyknots: I have thought about this question, & like many others before me, I too would 1st set traps, however that wasn't the question. So when I was out two nights ago, I cut a 61" long piece of hazelnut, 1 1/4" at top 1 1/2" at bottom. I peeled it as soon as I cut it, ran out of time to shape it. Put it in my hot car for my work shift the next day. I got home and started on it about 4pm by 4;30 I was back in the house with a usable bow. Not a heavy bow but would make me feel better to have it for defense anyway.  I cut it down with a small 6" blade folding hand saw, I used my hatchet to ruff it out and then grabbed my block plane (use what you got) to take it down and then finish the tiller, the saw again for knocks. I started to burnish it by my shoulder said enough, I'll finish that tonight. I have put it back in my car for one more day.  As for the string and arrows, I had them, it wasn't part of the question to make them. I have not heated this because we have a fire ban so fire is out and it's too hot to use the wife's stove or heat gun right now.  I'll shoot this to see how much abuse it can take. Then I may hand it over for my grandson to play with. Thank you for the question. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,