Author Topic: Nettle fiber bow string ??  (Read 14096 times)

Offline Joec123able

Nettle fiber bow string ??
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:23:03 am »
I processed some nettle fiber today to practice my cordage making I made short piece and couldn't break it with my hand I got to thinking is nettle fiber strong enough to make a bow string with ?? I have basically infinite nettles just have to go out and harvest them so any of you guys ever tryed it ? I'm not quite good enough at getting a consistent thickness yet to try a bowstring but I plan on trying it myself

Some nettle fibers
I like osage

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Nettle fiber bow string ??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:51:21 pm »
slow and steady keeping it even then all of a sudden you'll look up and have 15' feet of string.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:22:45 pm »
They would also work better if you wait til after a frost or two and then harvest and let them dry.  It is also easier (for me anyway) to judge when and where to splice to keep the string even when they are dry.  one bit of warning, fiber strings wear out pretty quick.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:48:25 pm »
Alright thanks I may try making a bow string for a low weight bow but it's so much fun making string I'm just gonna make handle wraps for bows or whatever else i need string for for now I'm getting better at keeping the thickness consistent
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:50:12 pm »
They would also work better if you wait til after a frost or two and then harvest and let them dry.  It is also easier (for me anyway) to judge when and where to splice to keep the string even when they are dry.  one bit of warning, fiber strings wear out pretty quick.

Why is harvesting It after a frost better ?
I like osage

Offline CuchilloOro

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 04:36:16 am »
You can extract fibres from nettles that are similar to linen, but it is a more complicated and labour intensive process.
The fibers you get can be spun on a hand drill to a very nice thread.
It need st be harvested at the right time, retted, dried, beaten and combed.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:54:52 pm »
I have made string out of nettle before but it was hard for me to get the fiber to separate from the woody outer shell of the plant. When I was done I doubt it would have made a good bow string because of its tendency to fray. I did have good luck with yucca on the other hand, if you have access to it I bet you would find it makes a far superior string. I made a 4 ply bow string with it and it lasted as long as the bow did.

Just my humble opinion keep us posted how the nettle works out !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:25:35 pm »

Why is harvesting It after a frost better ?

First, the leaves wilt back due to the frost.  Formic acid (the stuff that causes the stinging) is not nearly so potent at this point.  Second, the stalks loose a bit of their water and the fibers tend not to be so juicy straight away.  It takes less time for the stalks to dry. 

In my experience nettle is a strong fiber but the string needs to be wider than our modern fast flight strings.  This is part of the reason Native American Indian arrow nocks were wider and flared. 

Here is a link to a build along that may prove useful. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31455.0.html

Happy building!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:48:40 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »
Thanks every one and thanks swamp monkey really appreciate the link that will help a lot
I like osage

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:17:51 am »
Thanks swamp monkey, I have been too busy to reply.  Hopefully the vacant lot beside my house will go uncut this year.  It appears to have (roughly guessing) around 5000 dogbane stalks growing, and even more across the road.  I do love working with that stuff.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:29:29 am »
Well i made the string .... As I let the weight of the bow down on the string TEAR it went so it broke basically before it was even braced but I probably made the string to thin because I made about the thickness of a modern string ... So I guess my fault either way it didn't take long to make the string so I'm not that angry
I like osage

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:16:14 am »
In my humble opinion nettle makes an extremely strong bow string and rivals any natural cordage string out there. Preparation, processing, manufacture, and use all play a factor in the durability as well as usability of the finished product.

While nettle and flax are similar there are huge differences in processing that bear mentioning. With nettle, I prefer to harvest as close to the frost as possible. The fibers can be used before or after that time but at least in my area the frost seems to be the dividing line. After harvest, the stalks can be stripped of leaves and stored till dry or used as is. I don't go through any retting with nettle as this seems counter-productive, and unlike flax, the usable fiber is on the outside of the stalk. Processing can be described simply as breaking the stalk and stripping the usable fiber off (keeping them as long as possible.)

Another tip I have found is to double the size of the string at the loop to increase abrasion resistance. This will take some practice to get it right, but like you said "making string is fun!"

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:46:25 pm »
Amen Scott!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:25:38 am »
    When I first met CROOKETARROW he used nettles and milk weed for strings.
   He boiled tree roots and another he just let seep out. He's coat the peices with this. This dried really slow. When he finished he's hang a weight on the end let it dry a week. Then he's coat the whole thing let it dry do it again. Then he's coat it a second time let it dry.
  This not only water proffed it but harden the fibers and prolonged it life.
  At the time all I was into was killing bucks and after he dieded the the sceart went with him.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Stringman

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 09:58:11 am »
It's heartbreaking to think of all the primitive knowledge we have lost through our elders. It's up to us to gain as much of that back and strive to pass it on. Thanks for doing you part, crooked.