Author Topic: Your Favorite Natural Fibers?  (Read 8130 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
Your Favorite Natural Fibers?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:23:15 pm »

Hello All!

This is topic is to get a nice feeling for what natural fibers and cordage people like and why.

I'd like your opinion of your favorite material to work with and why you like it so much.

I look forward to seeing what people say.

As for myself?

I'm going to say Hemp.
For it's wide array of use, including beyond cordage, and because I always find myself going back to making something or another out of it.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Tortoise

Re: Your Favorite Natural Fibers?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:18:50 am »
I've been messing around with agave fibers recently, I like them especially since they're everywhere here, strong and easy to get
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 02:53:44 am »
Only used nettles and poplar inner bark I'm really liking nettles there strong easy to process and there every where
I like osage

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:31 am »
Flax processed into linen. Although I don't make linen I do use linen for bow strings. Irish linen...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 01:23:11 pm »
Dogbane, milkweed, Yucca filamentosa are the best I've tried as far as strength and workability. Other good ones are Amsonia (blue star,) basswood, hickory, mulberry, and tulip poplar bark, evening primrose, stinging nettle, false nettle. there are a lot more out there, you just have to experimnent. Hemp is good fiber, but I wouldn't really consider it with the "natural" fibers if I have to buy it on a spool, and I sure don't want to get caught growing it in its natural state. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »
I got to say agave.  The bigger the better!  It's easy to process, you get long white clean fibers, and it's real strong.  It's not super common here in Florida but it's in enough people's yards that I can usually supply my demand.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »
For ease of use:  Marsh milkweed.  The fibers are long and white making a beautiful white rope.

For strength:  I like nettle.  It makes a strong rope!

For rot resistance:  you can't beat dogbane.  It makes a wonderful handle wrap.

For a neat and tidy looking rope I like hickory inner bark.

I would love to learn more about yucca fiber processing.  I know nothing about it. 

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:50:25 pm »
I would love to learn more about yucca fiber processing.  I know nothing about it.

In my experience, yucca is a pain in the butt and agave is a breeze
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:05 am »
I love working with dogbane and yucca.  To process the yucca, I fill an old aquarium with the leaves and cover them with water and let them set til everything but the fibers has rotted.  I wipe all the nasty stuff off, wash the fiber in dawn dish detergent and lay them out to dry.  Then start twisting.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:57:05 am »
I love working with dogbane and yucca.  To process the yucca, I fill an old aquarium with the leaves and cover them with water and let them set til everything but the fibers has rotted.  I wipe all the nasty stuff off, wash the fiber in dawn dish detergent and lay them out to dry.  Then start twisting.

How long does that usually take and do the fibers retain their strength?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 11:27:06 am »

In my experience, yucca is a pain in the butt and agave is a breeze

Yucca is easy once you figure it out. I take fresh leaves, lay them on a smooth peeled log, and pound them lightly with a smooth stick. Then scrape them with a deer scapula or something similar. Scrape and wash under running water. You can peel a leaf in a couple minutes and be left with a bundle of clean, soft, white fibers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:27 am »
Ugh, I've tried all this pounding and scraping business.  I guess I just haven't figured it out.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 01:43:20 am »
yucca is strong ,but i've not enjoyed processing fine leaf western yucca and the fibers are fairly coarse.(will have to try "rotting" the leaves)
gotta say , dogbane is my favorite now, strong enough for a 50# bow and if the string weakens one can simply twist in new fiber after untwining.
so you can rebuild a functional bowstring in the field. can't do that with modern string material unless you carry it with you.
I've used elm bark for a lot of tying jobs and it holds up in weather for years, but its not strong a weight as dogbane can be.
There's a type of burdock that grows here in NE  thats fiberous and is tempting me to try...
no nettles here.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 07:57:35 pm »
jute is probably my fave... but yucca and nettle are close behind.
i like nettle's strength...
Jute is easy to get and cheap, and if i untwist, pull longest fibers, and retwist, quite strong.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Silver John

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 05:46:57 pm »
I twisted up about 20 feet of mulberry bark cordage a week ago.  As it dried I oiled it with linseed oil to maintain pliability. 

But my favorite fiber is stinging nettles.  I have a nettles cordage necklace I have been wearing continuously since last December. It never is taken off. It is still strong and pliable even though it has been soaked in the shower regularly as well as being soaked with sweat and body oils.