Author Topic: Crossbow string?  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Dazv

Crossbow string?
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »
Hi all!!

So guys Ive been asked to make a string for a medieval crossbow. My question is dose anybody know how many strands of Dacron to use for a 150lb prod and dose anybody know how much shorter than the bow to make the string??? Any advice would be great!

Oh and dose anybody know how to going about making the string? I only make single loop Flemish strings for my bows.

Thanks guys

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Crossbow string?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:13:09 pm »
uuuhhh... its 12-14 strands for #50. x3=  36-42 strands... i would go 45 to be safe. wax it really, really, really well.
go for about 1.5" shorter than the prod cause it stretches.. you could do a continous loop(take a piece of wood, stick nails about 1/2" more apart from the length of the finished string, wrap it 22 times between the nails(44 strands in the finished string, serve the ends with cotton or B50 or linen or something, then twist it up) i have done that for a pistol xbow...
or just go for a super short flemish twist, and splice both ends instead of just one.
Whatever you do... wax it insanely well.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:51 pm »
B50 won't work. Well, didn't for me, anyway. Too stretchy. I use FF, and for that much draw weight, I'd go 20 strands minimum. I've made both endless loop with served ends, and Flemish loop. It depends on your prod tips.
The brace height on both of my Xbows is around 3-4" with an 8" power stroke.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:28:54 am »
adb +1
Or use linen
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:50:18 pm »
if you pre stretch it it works...
at least on a #140 xbow.

anyway, linen or FF would definitly be much better...
Where do you guys get your linen?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 05:23:24 pm »
if you pre stretch it it works...
at least on a #140 xbow.

anyway, linen or FF would definitly be much better...
Where do you guys get your linen?

How do you pre-stretch B50??

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 05:30:59 pm »
I was told on here to hang a weight equel to near full draw weight (a little under) on the string overnight.
it worked for both my longbows and my xbow... but i had to use 5 buckets and a stick on the xbow!!!!

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 06:09:46 pm »
I don't believe that stretching the string after it's made will do any good. The material itself is too stretchy.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 05:23:33 am »
Thanks for all of the replays guys! A quick question about linen, will any linen thread work? And if not dose anybody know where I can get bow string quality linen in the UK? Thanks a lot for all the help guys!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:45 am »
Thanks for all of the replays guys! A quick question about linen, will any linen thread work? And if not dose anybody know where I can get bow string quality linen in the UK? Thanks a lot for all the help guys!
I've had some from Quicks, it is V thin and would need making up as sub plies. Ages ago I bought some small reels of great linnen thread from a shoe menders that was closing down.
Have a seach on t' web I remember finding a site that explained how they number the various sizes of threads.
Or try these... http://www.traditionalmaterials.co.uk/html/ropestwinethread.php
Del

Offline Dazv

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 07:57:55 am »
Thanks del!!! So the thinner the better? I have some of this stuff which is what I use to do wraps on my bows. Do you think it's to thick? Thanks so much for all of the advice del

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=221183520327

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 01:57:51 pm »
Thanks del!!! So the thinner the better? I have some of this stuff which is what I use to do wraps on my bows. Do you think it's to thick? Thanks so much for all of the advice del

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=221183520327
No, the thinner the less convenient!
But conversely you don't want thick poor quality tread.
hard to tell without having it and testing the breaking strain. that's the prob with buying stuff on the interweb... i got some hemp twine which looked ok but was v short fibres and was pants.
Del

Offline Dazv

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 04:47:47 pm »
Great cheers del I might give it ago, I made a string for a 30lb bow from this stuff and it held pretty well. Do you know how to go about constructing a crossbow string?

Thanks again for all the help.