Author Topic: This Ever Happen to You?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Slackbunny

This Ever Happen to You?
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:51:04 pm »
I was shooting in a new bow yesterday. Got five or six shots off. Then the last time, the arrow flew off a little strange, and the whole thing just felt wrong. Then I seen the string flying through the air off to my left. For a moment I was afraid that the bow might have broke, but upon inspection, it was perfectly fine. At this point, I figured the string must have broke. I had nicked the edge of one of the loops on the belt sander the day before so I figured that must have been it. But the string was also fine.

Somehow the string had managed to completely detach itself from the bow in midshot doing no damage to the bow or itself in the process. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it happened. So I made the nocks deeper to avoid the problem in the future. Hopefully that will solve it.

This ever happen to anyone else?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: This Ever Happen to You?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:07:11 pm »
my string has de-nocked... but not flew off.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:39:11 pm »
If youre Saying the string popped off the nock then yea its happened to me
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »
nope, never happened, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:14:49 pm »
Yep i've had one break. it was pretty cool, the shot was completely straight and the string was laying 20 feet off to the side in 2 pieces  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 08:05:02 pm »
yup. My brace was a little low and my nocks were not quite deep enuf. Arrow still flew okay but bow went "twang"  :o no harm to the bow. ::)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:34:08 pm »
Had that happen when the brace was too low.  Also that bow I was using had a lot of set...
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:53 pm »
If youre Saying the string popped off the nock then yea its happened to me

It didn't just pop off the nock though, cause I've had that happen several times when test shooting nearly done bows. It came completely free of the bow, and was flung across the yard.

It's not my brace height because it is in the normal range, even a little higher than some of my other bows. Must be just shallow nocks. We'll see next time I have it out.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:29:53 pm »
I had that happen once when I first started making bows. The string nock grooves in the tips were not deep enough. Every time I shot the bow, the string would fly off.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 11:12:03 pm »
I think your bow is trying to self-destruct. Either that, or you may have something akin to sibling rivalry going on. You need to take the bow and the string aside and explain to them that they are both needed and equally important to you. ::)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline HickoryHick

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 12:10:32 am »
This evidently is something like what a normal bow string goes thru on release, so I would assume if you didn't have deep enough nocks that one might could slip off

HH

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:23:47 am »
I think your bow is trying to self-destruct. Either that, or you may have something akin to sibling rivalry going on. You need to take the bow and the string aside and explain to them that they are both needed and equally important to you. ::)

I like it ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...