Author Topic: Planning a Hickory Mollegabet board bow  (Read 19320 times)

Offline HighlandRanger

Planning a Hickory Mollegabet board bow
« on: August 15, 2013, 01:15:37 pm »
OK, got some good advice so here is the bow I am planning...

Also, has anyone ever tried the Hickory boards from Home Depot? ---> Sure-Wood Forest Products 1 x 4 x 8 Hickory S4S Premium Hardwood Board

Just curious how good these are.

If you look at the plan I may add a small recurve to the levers. Thoughts on the plan are welcome.

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Planning a Hickory Mollegabet board bow
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:52:10 pm »
give it a shot and let us see the progress. I am working on a parallel limb bow that is kinda similar to molly. my fades out towards the tips are like 4 inches long instead of 2. So far it is a shooter. I gotta let it dry for a week as I water stained it last night after I got the tips done.
Keep us posted. I like the handle center shot idea.
Greg

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:24:14 pm »
The layout looks sweet. I hear hickory responds well to heat treating. Here is one 4est Tracker posted sometime ago. As you can see, the belly is somewhat toasted. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=32877.0
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 04:11:50 pm »
That bow is beautiful!

The layout looks sweet. I hear hickory responds well to heat treating. Here is one 4est Tracker posted sometime ago. As you can see, the belly is somewhat toasted. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=32877.0

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:30:47 pm »

i am so stealing some of those ideas lol

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »
By the way...I checked out your link to HD for hickory boards. Do they have them in a local store for you to go through or will you have to order online? The grain should really be straight, if possible.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 01:42:58 pm »
When I saw this I was a bit startled!    :o

I just got the low brace string on a Red Oak version of what is basically this same bow last night.  Mine is a bit longer in the handle than what you show here and my levers are not curved up.  (...which I think will prove pretty hard to accomplish on the thick depth of wood that is needed to make these levers stiff enough, ...but I wish you all the luck in the world doing it!)  The Z-shaped handle can be a bit tricky for tillering too I've found.  It doesn't want to sit straight in my tillering rig.  I wound up making a slotted template to hold the handle steady while I check the tiller of the bow.

I'll try to post some pix tonight in a seperate thread.  I'm generally working alone on bows, so it's easy to forget to take them...

OneBow
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:25:35 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 01:49:23 pm »
Unfortunately, they are not in-store, but have to be ordered. I don't know where to find any local.

By the way...I checked out your link to HD for hickory boards. Do they have them in a local store for you to go through or will you have to order online? The grain should really be straight, if possible.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 02:00:36 pm »

You will learn MORE by reading thru the comments by mike and I in that thread more so than just looking at the pictures of the bow its self... n make your levers straight...your already in over your head,and don't make it even more harder for yourself than it already is going to be for you...

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »
I would listen to Blackhawk's advice. He has made way more molles than I have. As far as ordering the hickory online goes, if it is within your budget and you have a local HD you can return the boards to, I would order 5 and hope that at least one or two of them would be clean, straight grain, and knot free. Then you could just return the rest. If all are unacceptable, you could return them all.