Author Topic: Tension & Compression -Ipe vs. Osage  (Read 14860 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

Tension & Compression -Ipe vs. Osage
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:06:41 pm »
Hi, I posted a little last year but have been away a while. I am restarting a project, trying to make an Osage flatbow backed with Ipe. I remember reading that one wood was stronger in tension, the other in compression, but couldn't remember which was which. I got the idea just because I'd never seen it done but want to be somewhat  logical about it. Obviously would want the backing stronger in tension, belly stronger in compression. I might even flip-flop and try Ipe backed with Osage depending on this. Can anyone set me straight? Yeah, I know bamboo would probably be wiser but I had to be different.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Tension & Compression -Ipe vs. Osage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 07:52:03 pm »
                    Osage is stronger in tension, ipe in compression. That bein' said back ipe with osage. But why bother ? Hedge (osage) is fine by itself . Ipe can be made ta be much stronger in tension but it takes a while and ya need ta know a coupla tricks fer the wood. Rich Saffold is the "guru" of ipe so maybe he will weigh in ta the discussion.........bob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:56:08 pm »
Bamboo backed ipe is a legendary combination. Strong, fast, and with minimal set. Osage might be too dense for a backing, but that's just me ???.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 08:53:07 pm »
Hickory backed Ipe and Osage are wonderfull!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:07:31 pm »
...Why would anybody back osage, except ifn ya want somethin' ta do ! ???.....bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »
  I've got a R/D bamboo backed osage almost tillered that will show somebody why backing 'sage is nice.I think it is going to scream. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:23:30 pm »
 Hey Eddie, I hope it does scream ! So what ? Ya kno' what I am gettin' at ! ;)......bob

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 04:11:26 pm »
Hi,
In my opinion, osage and ipe are both belly woods... excelling in compression. Never heard of an ipe backed anything. Osage is just fine on it's own, but if you have a marginal piece, you can back it with bamboo or hickory. I think Dean Toges may disagree on why you'd back osage.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 06:29:02 pm »
Ossage is a fantastic wood for shorter bows. But, the denisity makes it a problem for longer bows like English Longbows up to arround 90# but beyond that its still fantastic. If you back ossage with Hickory from 35# to 90# the bow turns into a real slinger and tosses them with authority and speed where ass an unbacked ossage of 74" pluss would be slower. Nice thing about this combination, from what Pip Bikerstaff has mentioned, is that it will take a small set and then seem to actually pick up speed after getting worked in. It also makes a bow that will last a very long time!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 09:56:38 pm »
S Oak, Like mentioned the bamboo is good on either woods, and either wood makes a good selfbow. It easier to do with osage in our continent, and I'm sure the Amazon natives would prefer ipe..I have some friends with some sweet ipe longbows, and Kowechobe's longbow graces the first page of my article on ipe in Aug. PA. Pyramid style works well since it give the back of the bow more area.

We just don't have the lapacho tree( ipe) growing here so boards are the only option. It's not a bad one personally since I feel like a kid in the candy store when I go to the yard and see a mile of fresh wood to pick through..

So use bamboo or hickory on the ipe, but don't be afraid to try a selfbow since its only going to cost a few bucks for the wood..

Rich-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 11:39:01 pm »
  Hey Rich,What do you think about backing Ipe with Hard Maple?Since I have some lam's for free and was told I have some Ipe arriving tommorrow thought I might give it a try. :D
Lakeland, Florida

Rich Saffold

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 01:24:31 am »
Eddie, I would use it.  On a heavier bow I might use 1/4" or more backing.  I have had good results using nearly 50% bamboo thickness on a  r/d elb styles using very dense ipe. Really lowers the limb mass and does good things to the arrow speed so don't be afraid to venture in this direction.

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 05:19:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Rich, I read your article, still have the issue with your first Ipe article. I've made a couple of attempts with Ipe since then but never had any luck. A few questions for you-first, how do you make a selfbow (unbacked) from Ipe boards? Just like a "decrowned" selfbow? Also, Ipe is rare as hen's teeth around here. I tried mail ordering some but got a piece with crooked grain which broke. Any reliable mail order source?   

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 05:26:55 pm »
 Just got the Ipe this morning,sure does look good.When it comes to bending this wood which is best,heat gun or steam?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 12:05:14 am »
Eddie, Most of the tropicals are difficult to bend with heat. If you are gonna back it and want reflex, pre-tiller the belly wood first then add the backing with 3" to 4" of Perry Reflex. For a recurve you will probably have to cut the tips horizontally, add a spline and and clamp into a recurve form.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC