Author Topic: Various Tillers  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Kegan

Various Tillers
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:39:20 pm »
Okay, so stiff tips mean a smooth bow with little/no stack, but are these bows skower or weaker in cast? It seems that bow that either are "whip tillered" slightly or that have a stiff handle section while bending mostly in the midlimb and toward the tips have a better cast, while bows that bend mostly in the handle are best for "up close". Any opinions? I'm trying to maximize my simple D bows with various tillers, and this is the next logical step. Any body know which has the better cast ????

Offline DanaM

Re: Various Tillers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:57:14 pm »
Ask bob he's the bendy handle guy ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:58:41 pm »
Kick the tips up a bit like the Cayuga style bows. Sort of a recurved, bendy handle bow. Thats what our Community Bow(Eastern) was last time. You could do working recurves or static. This will also allow for a shorter bow without stack.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:28 pm »
Keep the handle a bit stiff so that it just barely bends with the bow working more mid limb and the last few inches of the tips stiff and performance will go up.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:08:26 pm »
Whip tillered can only be faster while the tiller remains good.  They take set. Stiffer tips are great as long as you keep the mass on the outer limb as low as possible.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 02:10:41 pm »
..Like Marc said an elliptical tiller.....bopb

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 06:37:52 pm »
..Like Marc said an elliptical tiller.....bopb

That's what I thought, thanks :). Sweetie has a tiller like this, and shoot ebtter than a bow that bends more in the handle, but I'd like to try it a bit stiffer.

Pat- I've been using rounded belly bows, and with no steamer/boiler, it usually results in a hideously messed up spot.

Justin- I try and lighten the tips just short or being whip tillered, heavily rounded and narrow. But they are always stiff into the midlimb, and I wondered if having them bend a little more in the tips, and less in the center.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:36:12 pm »
I like the elliptical tiller too even on a bow that bends in the handle. I tiller the handle to just bend a bit. Looks like it isn't but it is. Smooth. Not much kick. The circular tiller is better on a shorter bow but  get that handle bending too much will sure make your dentist happy. She'll rattle your fillings. Probably jar a tooth or 2 loose. I  made a long flatbow from an ash board. I literally could not shoot it. Too much bend in the bendy handle. My fault. Should have tillered the bendy handle to barely bend. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!