Author Topic: Serrations  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Kegan

Serrations
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:35:58 pm »
Okay, so a serrated broadhead is more potent than a straight bladed one, would the serrations on a steel head be better on the entire length, or just on the back? Oh, and which is better, sveral deep agressive onses , or lots of very small ones? Thanks in advance :).

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Serrations
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:10:00 pm »
  I like the small ones.It doesn'tseem to drag as much hair or grab and slow penetration.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:25:02 am »
One of the Wensel Bros did an article in TBH a few years ago about adding serrations to your steel broadheads. He would add them to the back 1/3 of the blade.
   On steel heads with a single bevel I will rake the corner of my file down the edge then a light dressing on front and back. This gives a fine serration along the entire edge. I never could get a good consistent fine razor edge on any blade. This courser edge has worked well.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:40:31 am »
Agree with pat I just file mine leaving a burr, I don't bother with a hone.
Gotta agree that big serrations will just grab and stick
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:51:35 pm »
   On steel heads with a single bevel I will rake the corner of my file down the edge then a light dressing on front and back. This gives a fine serration along the entire edge. I never could get a good consistent fine razor edge on any blade. This courser edge has worked well.    Pat

Hmmm... I'm having toruble following, got a picture?

brokennock

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:49:20 pm »
I like big serrations for the broadheads I use for pheasant, turkey, and small game, to limit penetration.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 12:15:47 am »
Kegan, Picture a broadhead that has been sharpened with a course stone...that kind of serration.
Instead of laying the file flat against the beveled edge of the broadhead, turn it 45degs so the corner of the file is on the edge. Drag the corner from the back of the blade to the point, in a quick motion. If you look close, you will see small grooves coming into the edge at 90deg. The edge will have a micro-serration. Lay the file flat and dress up both the front and back to remove the burr.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 12:13:39 pm »
Kegan, Picture a broadhead that has been sharpened with a course stone...that kind of serration.
Instead of laying the file flat against the beveled edge of the broadhead, turn it 45degs so the corner of the file is on the edge. Drag the corner from the back of the blade to the point, in a quick motion. If you look close, you will see small grooves coming into the edge at 90deg. The edge will have a micro-serration. Lay the file flat and dress up both the front and back to remove the burr.   Pat

Hmmm... I'l just have to try that ;D!