Author Topic: The accuracy of long vs. short bows  (Read 9089 times)

Eric Garza

The accuracy of long vs. short bows
« on: November 28, 2007, 12:33:47 pm »
I had posted this in the shooting and hunting section, but got little response.  So I figured I'd post it here and see if more people would offer ideas.

I have made bows from 46 inches up to 68, and my experience has been that longer bows are easier to shoot while shorter bows are easier to maneuver with through brush.   It's obvious why shorter bows are easier to maneuver with, but why can I (and most people, it seems like) shoot so much more accurately with a longer bow than a shorter one? 

Is it added stability from the longer limbs? 

Is it the higher overall mass of the bow?

A larger string angle? 

Less strain on the limbs?

I'm curious what people think about this, as if it would be neat to develop a design for a shorter bow that gives accuracy on par with a longer bow.

-Eric

Offline Badger

Re: The accuracy of long vs. short bows
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 12:39:57 pm »
I think the lower string angle of a longer bow just makes for more foregiving shots. Less sensitive to slight inconsistencies in draw lenght. I like bows about 60 to 62" long. Steve

a finnish native

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 03:24:00 pm »
hmm.. I bet that the overall mass and the lenght of the limbs make the bow more stable. I shoot better with a 50" bow than a 64" though.. ::)

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 04:19:12 pm »
Hi,
I don't seem to notice a huge difference in accuracy with bow length. Accuracy for me has more to do with good technique, especially clean arrow release. Properly matched arrows (with the bow) are also vital.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:47:14 pm »
I tried a little experiment once. Hold your shorter bow in your bow and and twist it from side to side. Try the same with a longbow. The longbow is alot harder to spin. That's one for stability, especially in a stronger bow. Recurves don't seem to work to their full potential when you get them to full draw, and longbows generally don't use 'em. This is just me though, so it might not be so. As for physical weight, we can look at guns for that. Which is easier to hold stedy, a 9 lb. flintlock rifle, or a 6 lb. synthetic stock .270? Here, there is more wood on the longbow, so it's gonna weigh more, and make it easier to hold steady. This is all assuming your using a bow that is as strong as you can shoot, for a lighter short bow can still be shot with amazing accuracy, especially if you are used to them.

And a longbow can be made more easily manuverable through brush if you leave an arrow in your quiver and carry it perpendicualr to your body.

Just my $4.76 ;D.

Offline RT

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:47:36 pm »
bring the right bow for the terrian of the hunt, Long bow for woods that has little bushes and you can see more than 40 yards.

And short bow, when you know u are hunting the heavily populated dense area, or tree stand.

Cheers, RT
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 09:58:50 pm »
I haven't tried it, but based on what was said, if I shoot my short bows accurately I should be able to pick up a longer bow and shoot better, right?
I guess I'll have to build a 72" and test this.
VB

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:01:44 pm »
You pretty much answered your own question  ::) .......yes , string angle and longer limbs are more stable and the added mass weight don't hurt anything either...... 8) 64" is my favorite length for a long bow, shorter for recurves.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:17:23 pm »
Most of my bows were at least 66" long. A few years ago I built a 60" static recurve(Boo has it now ;D). It took me a long time to master that short(for me) recurved bow. Once I did, I could shoot it well. Now, if I pick up a longer bow I am quite impressed with my shooting. ::)  Stability!!!
   Short bows can be very consistent and accurate(or people can shoot them accurately). I believe that Kegan nailed it. The longer and heavier(physically) the bow is(within reason) the more accurate it is because it moves slower due to its length and mass.
   When I was in high school I was on the rifle team. We shot Anshultz(sp) .22 cal rifles. These things weighed over 10# but were extremely accurate, with open sights, due to their bull barrels and mass.
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:54:13 am »
I think short bows can be accurate, but usually that means you must shoot longer arrows.  My main problem with shorter bows is that I can't come back to my familiar anchor point, so I feel as though I'm kinda floating around in space.  I prefer a longer bow because I can hit my anchor point.  A shorter bow can't be drawn as far, and I think because of that you can't lock into your anchor.  When you shoot a longer bow, your anchor point almost acts as a "lock" to help stabalize your body and any addfitional movement that might occur.  As you draw your bow, both hands are away from your body, which is a more unstable position.  As your hand gets to your cheek, you now have one hand close to your center of gravity, which helps counteract the fact that your other arm is extended.

At least, that's the way I feel when comparing a short vs. long bow.     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 12:22:30 pm »
Billy, I guarantee RyanO can make a short bow that will draw to your full draw. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 12:40:44 pm »
Hi,
Draw length is draw length... regardless of the bow's overall length. If you short draw any bow, your accuracy will suffer... period. No anchor point, no accuracy. Your anchor point is your "back sight." If you're short drawing your bow, it's too heavy.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 01:44:59 pm »
Hi,
Draw length is draw length... regardless of the bow's overall length. If you short draw any bow, your accuracy will suffer... period. No anchor point, no accuracy. Your anchor point is your "back sight." If you're short drawing your bow, it's too heavy.
        Sorry..............If ya short draw any bow yer accuracy will suffer, not so. For some foks their anchor point is their back sight for others its not. Short drawing bows do not necessarily mean they are to heavy. Ever hear of a floating anchor ? The turkish archers used it with great effectivenes..................bob

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 04:08:32 pm »
Bob,
Floating anchor? Is that like an amicable divorce?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 04:12:43 pm »
Bob,
Floating anchor? Is that like an amicable divorce?
Yes   Both take work and both can be done, but most people are to lazy or to stubborn to put the effort in to make either happen.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah