Author Topic: Trade Bow complete, Personal Delivery to Steve B  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Trade Bow complete, Personal Delivery to Steve B
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:29:01 pm »
I had the pleasure of handing Steve his trade bow this morning.  Thanks to Bryce for keeping Steve barking up all the wrong trees during the swap.  I am honored that Steve is considering hunting this year with this bow.  I hope it serves you well Steve!  One of the neat things about this trade, was that the evening I received the PM from Calendar Girl showing Steve B. as my receipient, was thend of a long day spent up at Steve's house where I caught an earful of what bows he like and what kind of bows he doesn't like, and on and on.  ;D  I was excited to draw his name and knew just what to make... a good hunting bow!  Ended up 58 # @ 28", overall length of 68".  Osage longbow.

Surprise!

The first pull

Tips

The Full Draw
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Weylin

Re: Trade Bow complete, Personal Delivery to Steve B
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:36:29 pm »
Awesome! That's cool that you got to make a bow for one of our own. No better guy than Steve to get it! For being a "no frills" bow you sure managed to make it look classy. What did you do for the lacing on the grip? I see Gordy is doing his job for the full draw pic.  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:00 pm »
Sweet work Carson.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:12:08 pm »
A beauty!!
Simple and very, very elegant lines - I like that.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:14:16 pm »
Very nice :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:47:43 pm »
I got the whole thing on video I'll try and send it to you Carson or I might just post it
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 04:57:12 pm »
Weylin, yeah I was pretty stoked when I got Steve's name.  He is a great guy and it was fun to make one for one of the crew.  The handle is not laced, it is a piece of ostrich (probably it is actually Emu) leather glued down over the handle leather seam.  Same as the strike plate.

Thanks Pearl, Simson and Will! 

Simson it is nice that you commented on the lines.  Steve had mentioned how much he likes your bows. So I tried to capture that flowingness that your bows all seem to have. 

Bryce, I am glad you were there with cameras rolling.  I was pretty excited to give Steve the bow. And thanks again for keeping Steve off my trail.   

No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »
Nicely done!  He looks plum tickled and rightfully so!  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 05:05:07 pm »
Nice trade bow guys!  It's always fun when you can hand deliver a bow.  Its even better when its to a friend. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:11:46 pm »
I was as lucky as lucky gets. I hand delivered one of mine and was hand delivered mine from Pappy! Too cool!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 05:24:25 pm »
that looks great Carson, got it bending superbly
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 06:27:04 pm »
I am loving that handle wrap.great job buddy,you did good.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 07:01:42 pm »
Thanks Gun Doc, Clint, Bub, and seabass.  Pearl that is really lucky....you sure that drawing wasn't rigged? ;)   
I am just glad Steve likes it.  I am hoping he bags something with it. 

Offline steve b.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 07:42:21 pm »
The good news is that I got as good a bow as I could imagine, for what I want (big game hunting).  The bad news is that the best bow in my collection is no longer one of my bows.
And if you've ever had a thief steal something from you, or if you've had a really embarrasing practical joke played on you, that's how I felt--totally surprised/embarrased.   Like a surprise party.  It took me about 60 seconds, after knowing that it was my tradebow, to actually get my head around it all.  I pride myself in being a suspicious person and never fooled but I was totally lost for two minutes.

I saw the bow unfinished a couple weeks ago, laying against the wall, and saw Carson point out the natural reflex that it had.  I was thinking, "#$%@!, why can't I get one like that, I hope Carson doesn't screw that one up during tillering"

Ok, so I'm the fool.  The bow is a rocket launcher.  Its 5# heavier than the osage bow I was practicing with today and shot the same arrows a lot faster.  I'm going to shoot it alot this week and see if I can have it ready for hunting in a week or so.  Should be no problem. 

Thanks Carson!  And thanks, Bryce, for the surpise party.  I will definately get you back.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 08:06:23 pm »
Good luck ;) it was fun watching you chase your tail a bit. And knowing the bow you where gonna get made it a little sweeter :)
Clatskanie, Oregon