Author Topic: Three fingers under  (Read 5106 times)

Offline adb

Three fingers under
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:10:32 am »
I've been asked to make a bow for a fellow who shoots 3 fingers under, as opposed to the traditional split finger draw. Does anyone have any practical experience with tillering a bow for this type of shooting? I can't remember, but I'm sure you have to tiller it slightly different. Obviously, I've never done this, and I'm looking for wisdom from someone who has. Thanks!

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Three fingers under
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:01 am »
I personally leave the upper limb 1/2 to 1 inch longer, and the bottom limb slightly stiffer....more stress on the lower limb in my opinion.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 01:14:28 am »
So, do you move the arrow pass more towards the actual center balance point of the bow, rather than moving it up the top limb?
Normally, I tiller my bows from the center, with even length limbs, and leave the bottom limb stiffer. When I'm done tillering, I make the arrow pass about 1 - 1.5 inches above center.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:07:25 am »
Same as VNB. Little stiffer on the bottom than I would normally do.  :) I usually have my bottom about 1/8 stiffer on a 3 under probably 3/8.  :) same arrow pass. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:22:07 pm »
I usually have my bottom about 1/8 stiffer on a 3 under probably 3/8.
   Pappy

I've seen this in a few posts. How are you measuring this 1/8 or 3/8?
Thanks

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:11 pm »
Not enough practical experience to give advice but my thinking is that three fingers under moves the three fingers closer to the center of the handle and string and therefore I'd make limb length and tiller equal.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »
I usually have my bottom about 1/8 stiffer on a 3 under probably 3/8.
   Pappy

I've seen this in a few posts. How are you measuring this 1/8 or 3/8?
Thanks

Measuring from the belly of the bow to the string at full brace height, in intervals along it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:00:40 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »
Not enough practical experience to give advice but my thinking is that three fingers under moves the three fingers closer to the center of the handle and string and therefore I'd make limb length and tiller equal.

I'm hoping for more than just opinions or guesses... if anyone has any hard earned experience with this, I'm all ears.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 04:59:10 pm »
Same as VNB. Little stiffer on the bottom than I would normally do.  :) I usually have my bottom about 1/8 stiffer on a 3 under probably 3/8.  :) same arrow pass. :)
   Pappy

Why?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:56:33 pm »
I don't think it matters to much.why?I shoot my bows split,and 3 under I mix it up .I don't think bow manufactors make subtle changes to accomidate different shooting style.usally if I get 50 arrows thru a bow its good to go no matter the shooting style
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:55 pm »
K,just did some digging and dean torges advised to make the bottom limb stiffer,but most people do that anyways.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 07:32:39 pm »
K,just did some digging and dean torges advised to make the bottom limb stiffer,but most people do that anyways.

Thanks!

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 08:12:54 pm »
I don't think it really matters either. 3 under usually requires a little higher nocking point. When I switched over to 3 under I couldn't tell any difference except my shooting improved.> Dan

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 08:42:26 pm »
I don't think it really matters either. 3 under usually requires a little higher nocking point. When I switched over to 3 under I couldn't tell any difference except my shooting improved.> Dan

Sorry, I'm not talking about shooting. I'm talking about tiller. Have you tillered a bow specifically to shoot 3 under?

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:50:50 pm »
No, because I don't think it really matters